Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering clicks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been noticing clicks from steering rack of my 4-month old P85D when turning wheel full left or right at stop or very, very low speed. Usually happens when I get out of my garage or a tight parking spot and need to make a hard turn right away. Searched the forums and saw this was an issue mostly in 2013 and a bit in 2014 but I can't find anything on it of late. Anyone experienced it on recent cars? Is the fix still shims and bolt torque? Does Tesla not address at the factory if known? Thanks.

Last edited:
Family member took delivery of standard 85 in January & had what you described, service center first said it was normal but after a second visit increasing torque resolved issue, they are now waiting for a drive unit replacement.

I've got a May 2015 with what sounds like the same sound. My service guy knew exactly what it was and confirms the solution noted above of increasing the torque somewhere in the system. I don't think it's a safety issue (at least I didn't get that inference) so won't be dealing with it until I've got reason to be in Vancouver.

Family member took delivery of standard 85 in January & had what you described, service center first said it was normal but after a second visit increasing torque resolved issue, they are now waiting for a drive unit replacement.

Did they take delivery Jan of THIS year? Are drive unit issues still showing up in newer builds? I thought this issue was resolved.

Surprising. I thought Tesla had solved this one some time ago. The clicking occurs at the steering rack mounting points, where the rack bolts to the car's frame. The clicks come from very slight movement as the rack ears rub against the chassis mounts while under high stress, such as when steering while the car is stationery. This is NOT a dangerous condition. The problem is remedied with a shim and a special type of grease.

Surprising. I thought Tesla had solved this one some time ago. The clicking occurs at the steering rack mounting points, where the rack bolts to the car's frame. The clicks come from very slight movement as the rack ears rub against the chassis mounts while under high stress, such as when steering while the car is stationery. This is NOT a dangerous condition. The problem is remedied with a shim and a special type of grease.

Ok. Thanks. I shall contact my SC for the fix.

No. I also had a bad gasket on the steering column which was making more noise then the clicks. Every time I would turn the steering wheel at low speed it would make a low moan. They initially tried greasing it up, but found that the gasket was cinching up on the steering column still with turns, and finally replaced it. So now that that noise is (thankfully) gone I can hear that same clicking noise described definitely from the front end when doing low speed maneuvers. I am on a road trip from San Antonio to Chicago right now, but will try and get the clicking addressed when I get back.

Been noticing clicks from steering rack of my 4-month old P85D when turning wheel full left or right at stop or very, very low speed. Usually happens when I get out of my garage or a tight parking spot and need to make a hard turn right away. Searched the forums and saw this was an issue mostly in 2013 and a bit in 2014 but I can't find anything on it of late. Anyone experienced it on recent cars? Is the fix still shims and bolt torque? Does Tesla not address at the factory if known? Thanks.

When I had the same problem last summer, the SC fixed it when I brought my car in to put winter tires on. I wasn't sure if the noise was normal or not either. They fixed it without me asking them to (guess they heard the click when driving it). It was in the steering rack mount points.

Seems crazy that these newer cars are coming from the factory with problems that have been resolved for quite some time. I don't think mine ever did this at least not that I can recall, and I have an older 2013 P85. I guess they proactively fixed mine one of the times it was in for service or before I took delivery. Point is, they shouldn't be coming off the floor like this new with a known solution, should they?

Had the same issue. February 2015 S85D with air.

I brought it into the service center and the shim bulletin was applied. It solved about 90% of the cases, but it still can be audible at times. I can live with it since it only happens at extreme ends of travel and in low-speed situations.

- K

Same here, P85D 68874, manufactured Jan'15. The issue appeared after 6-8000 km, and has become worse since.
The car is going to Helsinki SC (for 20.000 km check) this week and they should fix this too, in addition to a couple of minor issues.