Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I duct tape the passenger door to keep it closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not one to gratuitously criticize Tesla but my current situation is cause for real concern. Before I drove to California and back for TMC Connect, the front passenger door was occasionally springing open when I put the car in park and opened the driver's door. Weird. I called Tesla service about the problem, told them I'd be driving to CA, and they told me the Fremont Service Center would contact me about fixing it while I was there. Never heard anything from Fremont (a disappointment) but as the problem did not occur frequently on the 3,600 mile drive I wasn't concerned.

Since I've arrived back in MD the problem has worsened to the point that the passenger door now releases, unlatches, and opens whenever I put the car in park, use the fob to extend the handles, or open any other door. This is an unsafe situation. A few times the passenger door has swung wide open as I drove out of a parking space. Last night it was open the entire evening after I thought I had locked the car.

I recontacted service about the problem today and they seemed not to treat it as a serious problem -- couldn't make arrangements to fix it for more than two weeks. Thinking it might invoke more concern, I said that for safety I'd just have to use duct tape on the outside of the door to prevent it from opening. This comment resulted in no response whatsoever.

I think this is a real safety issue and deserves a more urgent response from Tesla Service. I'm half serious about the duct tape idea even though it will embarrass me and Tesla to have duct tape on the side of my car. Am I over reacting? How do I get a more serious response from Tesla?

I think this is a real safety issue and deserves a more urgent response from Tesla Service. I'm half serious about the duct tape idea even though it will embarrass me and Tesla to have duct tape on the side of my car. Am I over reacting? How do I get a more serious response from Tesla?

Totally agree. It is unsafe. And they should damn well know that you are one of the most vocal ambassadors for Tesla. Ignoring you would not be a good idea. IF your door gets ripped off by another car, you would be out a door, and the accident would most likely be your fault.

And sadly, yes, I think you should duct tape it. They do make duct tape in red...

I think what bothers me the most is the varied experience across the different service centers. I'm pretty confident that my local service center would say "if you can bring it by we'll see what we can do today for you".

I think what bothers me the most is the varied experience across the different service centers. I'm pretty confident that my local service center would say "if you can bring it by we'll see what we can do today for you".

I suspect that this is directly related to bhuwan's comment, above, though I don't know if I would say they've "gone down the tubes."

While some of the service center folks may not care or know how to do anything but follow the standard repair scheduling process, Email Elon and I bet you will get a nearly instantaneous response. If I were him and heard about this, I would personally be loading a team up in a private jet right now to come review and fix the problem, and ascertain how to make sure it never happens to another car (in fact, if I were Elon, I wouldn't want local service techs working on it, I would send a A team from the factory).

This is the kind of thing -- one of the only things -- where traditional car manufactures have an advantage over Tesla. With decades of experience, their car doors don't pop open and they don't have orange ooze that comes out from under the hood (to pick a couple oops items). Embarrassing things for the company that demand an immediate and thorough response if they want to remain a superstar company.

If you seriously want to go straight to the top, Elon actually gave out one of his email addresses at one of the shareholder meetings. Or maybe see if you can post a polite inquiry on his Twitter feed or something. You could probably shoot lower on the totem pole too, as long as you hit someone high enough up such that they feel empowered and care deeply about the success of the company.

Last edited:

It's definitely inconsistent, and likely caused by scaling (or lack thereof). Rick, my guess is you ended up talking to a fairly inexperienced employee. A door popping open is a major risk. I'd escalate, but of course in a professional and courteous manner.

While some of the service center folks may not care or know how to do anything but follow the standard repair scheduling process, Email Elon and I bet you will get a nearly instantaneous response. If I were him and heard about this, I would personally be loading a team up in a private jet right now to come review and fix the problem, and ascertain how to make sure it never happens to another car (in fact, if I were Elon, I wouldn't want local service techs working on it, I would send a A team from the factory).

This is the kind of thing -- one of the only things -- where traditional car manufactures have an advantage over Tesla. With decades of experience, their car doors don't pop open and they don't have orange ooze that comes out from under the hood (to pick a couple oops items). Embarrassing things for the company that demand an immediate and thorough response if they want to remain a superstar company.

If you seriously want to go straight to the top, Elon actually gave out one of his email addresses at one of the shareholder meetings. Or maybe see if you can post a polite inquiry on his Twitter feed or something. You could probably shoot lower on the totem pole too, as long as you hit someone high enough up such that they feel empowered and care deeply about the success of the company.

Tesla already knows all about this problem, because it is so common in the early builds, and they have a fix. The problem seems to be that they are not treating it with enough urgency.

I met some nice folks when I was at the Rockville Service Center in February, 2013 who were there to have the spontaneous door opening problem fixed in their car. They were not amused. It is a safety issue and seems to have been known about for a long time. There should be a priority assigned when a customer calls and reports this particular symptom.

Lanny

I met some nice folks when I was at the Rockville Service Center in February, 2013 who were there to have the spontaneous door opening problem fixed in their car. They were not amused. It is a safety issue and seems to have been known about for a long time. There should be a priority assigned when a customer calls and reports this particular symptom.

Lanny

I think Ricks SC is also Rockville and as it is my first choice (even though Tyson's is closer) I'm surprised by the response, these guys have always been the best I have dealt with. (One reason for not being pushed to Tyson's all the time).

An escalation should do the trick...

No but you should duct tape the passenger to the passenger seat.

~

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 609