Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

I have just scheduled LTE installation for mid-August. My service person said "chip, wiring harness and some other things" without any detail. I did it assuming that they will probably do graphics upgraded as well, and improve browser responsiveness also.Does anybody know exactly what will be installed? Was I correct to make the upgrade of $500?

I have just scheduled LTE installation for mid-August. My service person said "chip, wiring harness and some other things" without any detail. I did it assuming that they will probably do graphics upgraded as well, and improve browser responsiveness also.Does anybody know exactly what will be installed? Was I correct to make the upgrade of $500?

Not sure why you think they'd do a graphics upgrade for that price...I highly doubt it frankly.
But please do a speed test, in the same location, before and after the upgrade. I'd love to see what kind of performance improvement you get for your $500.

The LTE upgrade sounds like a great idea! But the graphics hardware upgrade doesn't seem feasible. I would assume the GPUs are soldered to the main board and aren't easily replaced. If you were promised that, please let us know. Otherwise I would say you're only going to see faster up/download speeds. That in itself will improve the map refresh rate. So perhaps that'll be what you were looking for.

Last edited:

Why would graphics change? You just get faster internet connection.

Honestly, the LTE doesn't really seem to do much right now. Have it and it is responsive in buffering songs, etc... but was 3G really that bad? It's just audio. Unless you need it for coverage, doesn't seem like a must have - unless some new apps and feature come out soon that really need it more.

Now if it was a complete graphical/LTE upgrade, and we did have features in future that needed it then maybe - again, doesn't seem to right now. And browser in the car is something you don't use much anyway, but I know some of you really want it to feel like what you have on a desktop - don't touch it here really. Phone is faster for most things.

My MCU is faulty and am getting a new one. Would this include the new graphics processor and LTE?

I suspect they have enough NOS of the older units that you'll get a 1:1 of the old unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have missed this, but why are people assuming there is a new graphics processor? And what does this have to do with having LTE rather than 3G?

Because some people are wondering if the LTE requires a new MCU. The answer is "no"... it's a module replacement for existing MCU's.

My MCU is faulty and am getting a new one. Would this include the new graphics processor and LTE?

As Flasher said, you would get a 1:1 swap. That said, if you are interested in LTE, ask the Service Center about what it would cost to retrofit as the labor to remove the MCU basically is covered by the MCU replacement. In fact, they basically swap 3G -> LTE on the replacement MCU before installing it.

Oh no. Details? I'm out of warranty and dreading an MCU replacement if the time ever comes (hope it never does).

It is just Bluetooth issues. My phone every once and awhile decides to not hold a connection for longer than a few seconds. It's not the phone as it works with everything else. They diagnosed some issue and said they were replacing the MCU.

Honestly, the LTE doesn't really seem to do much right now. Have it and it is responsive in buffering songs, etc... but was 3G really that bad? It's just audio. Unless you need it for coverage, doesn't seem like a must have - unless some new apps and feature come out soon that really need it more.

Now if it was a complete graphical/LTE upgrade, and we did have features in future that needed it then maybe - again, doesn't seem to right now. And browser in the car is something you don't use much anyway, but I know some of you really want it to feel like what you have on a desktop - don't touch it here really. Phone is faster for most things.
I was not told much detail, so I am doing it with hope. I was told there is a "wiring harness" and "new sim" but my SA did not really know too much. For me better audio buffering is a big deal since most of my preferred audio is on a couple favorite internet radio stations. I dream of having Waze update as it does on my phone, but I do not expect the browser and graphics to be included for that price. My curiosity heightened with mention of "wiring harness" since the only real change needed to effect LTE over 3G in my phones was a simple sim change.

What is the "...etc..."? Is that just other internet-based loading issues?

I too will be very interested in the outcome of switching to LTE, I'm not happy at all with my current 3G connectivity, it often drops out when I'm listening to internet radio (the actual FM is pretty much useless) and map loading is very often extremely slow.

What I'm hoping is that there will actually be a replacement offered for the graphics/CPU as well at some point so it would be possible to swap out everything at one time.

I was not told much detail, so I am doing it with hope. I was told there is a "wiring harness" and "new sim" but my SA did not really know too much. For me better audio buffering is a big deal since most of my preferred audio is on a couple favorite internet radio stations. I dream of having Waze update as it does on my phone, but I do not expect the browser and graphics to be included for that price. My curiosity heightened with mention of "wiring harness" since the only real change needed to effect LTE over 3G in my phones was a simple sim change.

What is the "...etc..."? Is that just other internet-based loading issues?

It's not a simple SIM change. The radio in the car is not capable of LTE. The wiring harness is likely required to interface the new daughter board with the LTE radio and antennas with the older MCU.

It is just Bluetooth issues. My phone every once and awhile decides to not hold a connection for longer than a few seconds. It's not the phone as it works with everything else. They diagnosed some issue and said they were replacing the MCU.

Ah ok. Seems like they could just replace the Bluetooth module, no?

What I'm hoping is that there will actually be a replacement offered for the graphics/CPU as well at some point so it would be possible to swap out everything at one time.

If there were new features that required an updating CPU/GPU then yeah that'd be cool. Hopefully they'll offer upgrades to refurbed units with all the latest hardware some years down the road.

Last edited:
It's not a simple SIM change. The radio in the car is not capable of LTE. The wiring harness is likely required to interface the new daughter board with the LTE radio and antennas with the older MCU.
Thanks. I really wanted to know why a wiring harness when the graphics card seems to to be changed. Why would the radio not be LTE capable? That seems quite odd. I understand intuitively other constraints such as the graphics card and the code being used to support the entire connectivity package including browser. It really seems as though maybe Tesla/Google missed the critical points in the original design. OTOH, that was close to five years ago, an eternity in these terms.