Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot two new features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought these two features were included in autopilot package since it was announced?

The steering has been promised from the beginning. I don't think parallel parking ever was - most of us just assumed that if the car was capable of self parking it'd be capable of parallel parking, too.

But I think the key part of the announcement is that Tesla possibly be releasing the firmware update "soon." (Hopefully this is a different scale of soon from the prior promises...)

I thought these two features were included in autopilot package since it was announced?
They had mentioned "self parking", typically in the sense of you get out of your car and it pulls into your garage for you then closes the garage door. Or the reverse, with opening the door and coming to get you (as long as it's on private property).

But I don't think I've ever heard Tesla specifically refer to "parallel parking" as a planned feature. This may be a first for that one.

They had mentioned "self parking", typically in the sense of you get out of your car and it pulls into your garage for you then closes the garage door. Or the reverse, with opening the door and coming to get you (as long as it's on private property).

But I don't think I've ever heard Tesla specifically refer to "parallel parking" as a planned feature. This may be a first for that one.

It's been on the website as part of the feature description from the beginning.

Elon: "Almost ready to release highway autosteer and parallel autopark software update"

Translation from Martian to plain English:

"What they hell guys? The Model X design study can't go online July 31st?! I need to divert attention from this fact. I know, I'll tweet about some autodriving stuff that isn't ready yet. I'll say "almost ready to release" and there will be speculation"

You ever hear of the guy who almost got the girl? Or the one who almost played professional football? Or almost made the Olympic team?

You ever hear of the guy who almost got the girl? Or the one who almost played professional football? Or almost made the Olympic team?
"Boy who cried wolf" is what came to mind for me.

- - - Updated - - -

It's been on the website as part of the feature description from the beginning.
Stoney is correct. This below isn't new.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models said:
Autopilot Parking

Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home.

I took it to mean that we're going to get two new features that we don't have today.

Sure they were promised, but I don't expect the author of the article to know that.

What I am curious about is if the Autoparking will be aware of how you're actually supposed to park at a supercharger. For example if someone is in 1A then you don't park in 1B unless it's the last available space. You don't because that will reduce the maximum charge current. Of course if Tesla was really smart about it they could optimize it so your car got parked in the supercharger slot based on where within the charge cycle each car is. So you could be parked where you shared with someone who was almost done, and well within the charge taper.

As it currently stands from my observations only half the people who park at superchargers are aware of the whole 1A/1B, 2A/2B pairing.

As it currently stands from my observations only half the people who park at superchargers are aware of the whole 1A/1B, 2A/2B pairing.
While this is true, the signs help. Elaborating...

At some locations (example: Mountain View, CA) the signs are "Tesla only" for A and "30 mins general parking" for B. For a crowded parking lot, the Bs will fill up with non-charging cars leaving the A slots open. The net result: all supercharging happens in A slots.

I took it to mean that we're going to get two new features that we don't have today.

Sure they were promised, but I don't expect the author of the article to know that.

What I am curious about is if the Autoparking will be aware of how you're actually supposed to park at a supercharger. For example if someone is in 1A then you don't park in 1B unless it's the last available space. You don't because that will reduce the maximum charge current. Of course if Tesla was really smart about it they could optimize it so your car got parked in the supercharger slot based on where within the charge cycle each car is. So you could be parked where you shared with someone who was almost done, and well within the charge taper.

I bet Tesla will have that figured out by the time they start doing "self valet" supercharging. I wouldn't be surprised if that shows up in a year or two. :)
Walter

SuperCharger parking isn't parallel-parked. (At least not on the handful of SuCs I've seen), so no reason to think this is imminent.