Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank goodness our side mirrors are so big... Got hit, but no damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife was driving my Tesla down Hawthorne Blvd. today in Torrance when some bozo (CA 6CSA482) didn't see her on his side and hit her. Luckily, the person only knocked the side mirror in. My wife was too afraid to confront and decided to back away, but what should you do in this situation?? Police won't care unless someone gets hurt... But insurance will want a police report if there is any damage right? :cursing:

Video embedded below from my cheap dash cam... You'll see about 0:25 in the person on the left starts veering into her lane, then hits my car, then speeds away while my wife slows down.

Last edited by a moderator:
You technically have video of a hit and run. It's possible, if the impact was small, that the driver didn't realize he hit her mirror, so maybe it's not a "nefarious" hit and run, but it is one just the same. I'd probably take the dashcam video to the insurance company first, and if they need further "documentation", you can take this to the police.

Should be sufficient to prove no wrongdoing on your wife's part.

So my wife was driving my Tesla down Hawthorne Blvd. today in Torrance when some bozo (CA 6CSA482) didn't see her on his side and hit her. Luckily, the person only knocked the side mirror in. My wife was too afraid to confront and decided to back away, but what should you do in this situation?? Police won't care unless someone gets hurt... But insurance will want a police report if there is any damage right? :cursing:

Video embedded below from my cheap dash cam... You'll see about 0:25 in the person on the left starts veering into her lane, then hits my car, then speeds away while my wife slows down.

[video]https://youtu.be/KukDHwkRpMg[/video]

Doesn't matter how minor the damage is. You have a hit and run on video. What are you waiting for? Report it to the police station that has jurisdiction and provide them the video with the tag number. We pay taxes so we don't live in a lawless society. Hold that idiot responsible.

The guy who hit your car is lucky that wasn't me. I would have called 911 and stayed with that car until police arrived. When it happened I would have had no way of knowing extent of damage. The bottom line is if a car makes contact with your car, they can't just drive away.

Excellent example of why a dashcam isn't enough, imho. Cams on all 4 sides, installed at the factory at time of manufacture, supported by Tesla Service Centers, with control/replay via smartphone apps, 17" app, and website.

It's hard to believe that with all the new cameras being added to cars that more manufacturers don't offer a dashcam option.

Before we go get the pitchforks...

It's possible that the guy didn't know he hit her. It's not like he sped away and ducked out of sight. I only say this because when I was younger I was backing out of a parking spot and didn't see a car behind me. They honked and I slammed on there brakes. I never realized there was contact, but apparently there was. I left, they called the police, and the police called me the next day. They were polite and mentioned that it happens all the time that people don't realize they made contact. Cars give, road noise, radios, assuming it was a pothole, etc.

But yes, call the police so this guys insurance can take care of it instead of yours.