Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor When to buy more stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. About a year ago I invested into Tesla for long term, but I now have the opportunity to purchase more stock again. Since I am in it for the long haul, I am thinking buy NOW! But with all of the knowledge on the TSLA threads it tends to get a little overwhelming. Even though I read up, check trends and attend many of the Schwab workshops, I feel far from savvy in this area to make a solid decision.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

My investor doesn't seem to concerned on the when portion, so I thought I would ask this abundant community. I am new to investing in general, so links, words of wisdom, or criticism will all be taken accordingly.

Thank you in advance either way!

Best wishes.

If the upcoming ramp of the Model X goes well, I would expect a significant rise in share price and that not only short term (because Tesla would prove they are not a one trick pony*). Because I personally think it will, I would buy now. Disclaimer: if they delay the X again, share price will drop, also if they don´t delay but have technical issues. Good luck!

* No, I don´t forget about the Roadster, but that was pretty low volume in comparison to the S.

I'm no expert, but it depends on ur time horizon. If ur in it for the long haul, i.e. years, then dollar average as you see fit, especially on days like monday when the stock dropped to $251. I would have bought some except my funds were waiting for a wire transfer. Start small until you begin to feel the pulse of the stock w.r.t the news.

No one knows for sure what will happen at earning next week. Personally I might buy some before and after, just to average things out.

I would also recommend picking an exit strategy. Is the purpose to pay for a tesla, a house, kids education, retirement? If so, hold urself to it and sell when that time comes or move profits into an index fund. Don't get too greedy.

If your horizon is long term and you believe in Tesla's vision, I would, without hesitation, buy now and without breaking it up into several purchases. It really doesn't matter if the price fluctuates the coming quarters and whether or not you got in at $266 or $251 or even $200, when your long term vision for the stock might be $1,000+ in 10 years. If you buy in one lot you will avoid trying to catch a rising share price, in case you decide to buy in increments. There's nothing more stressful (and regretful) than to see the share price run away from you. Also, from a share price entry point, I think TSLA is fairly close to the bottom with way more upside potential in the coming 12 months.

I'm only sharing my view and the way I would go about it and of course you have to do your own due diligence and all that. :smile:
Good luck and happy investing.

Hi.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to investing in general, so links, words of wisdom, or criticism will all be taken accordingly.

Thank you in advance either way!

Best wishes.

Hi Kyle

Since you asked, I'll share some of my main learnings related to investments. Yours or someone else's might be different.

My investment history is 7yrs on ASX and 2.5 yrs on Nasdaq.

Activities that I find helpful and that increased my chances of making good investment decisions:

A keen interest in investing - lots of reading on the subject. Reading about other investors mistakes helps to shorten the personal learning curve.

A keen interest in how to evaluate a business - lots of reading on the subject. Some metrics may matter more than others. A business that has a product or a service that fills their customers needs well is likely to have healthy sales and revenues. What is the competition, barriers to entry?

A keen interest in politics and continual monitoring of world events. When there is no political stability, few businesses can thrive.

A keen interest in monetary policy and other economic developments. These are like road signs signalling where the businesses are heading. Lack of understanding of these increases the investment risks.

Some people find the above subjects boring and their preferences are really not to watch the news and follow businesses, then it is likely harder for them to develop their own personal capability to evaluate a business value or potential.

If you need others to tell you what to do or to evaluate investment opportunities for you, then in my view your investment risk is considerably higher. Opinions and views of others do matter, but these views need to be evaluated on their merit rather than blindly acted on. You might be lucky with acting on tips, but good luck with being lucky.

The biggest risk with seeking and acting on tips from others is that these tips are static - they may be given in good faith at a particular point in time. Businesses operate in dynamic environments and what holds true today might not be true tomorrow, circumstances change. Hence, investment evaluation has to follow new developments from day to day. Such never ending evaluation can only be performed by each investor on their own.

Once you have some considerable money invested in a few businesses, most of the above interests are likely to develop by default. High stakes = high driver to learn

There is so much more that could be said about investing. The main benefit I get from investing is learning about complex dynamic systems, the thrill of getting a glimpse of insight into such complexity. Making or losing money is a side effect and an icing on the cake when it happens.

Regarding investing in TSLA, my view is that TSLA has more upside ahead long term. Short term, I do not know. Model X is likely to be the positive catalyst.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

My gut is telling me to go now. I'm in it for the long haul. 10, 20 +plus years I hope. I'm relatively young so I'd like to be ahead of the clean energy movement. I'm a firm believer in Tesla and expect the clean energy frontiers to have a lot of bumpy road ahead, but it is absolutely the future. I just wish I had a few more dollar signs to throw at it!

All of the Schwab classes seem interesting and only heighten my intrigue, making me research more starter like companies.

Any further tips or readings will definitely be looked into.

Thank you again. That was all great advice! More than I was expecting thankfully. .

Best wishes to you all!

Thank you everyone!

My gut is telling me to go now. I'm in it for the long haul. 10, 20 +plus years I hope. I'm relatively young so I'd like to be ahead of the clean energy movement. I'm a firm believer in Tesla and expect the clean energy frontiers to have a lot of bumpy road ahead, but it is absolutely the future. I just wish I had a few more dollar signs to throw at it!

All of the Schwab classes seem interesting and only heighten my intrigue, making me research more starter like companies.

Any further tips or readings will definitely be looked into.

Thank you again. That was all great advice! More than I was expecting thankfully. .

Best wishes to you all!

If you want further reading on TSLA as a future investment, I highly recommend the Mega Post Thread created by DaveT. His deep and thorough research on Tesla and TSLA is incredibly worth your while to read.

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

By the way, where are you DaveT, haven't seen you around the investment part of the forum for quite some time. Does anyone know if there will be another Google Hangout after the upcoming earnings like there used to be?

By the way, where are you DaveT, haven't seen you around the investment part of the forum for quite some time. Does anyone know if there will be another Google Hangout after the upcoming earnings like there used to be?

Hi Larken, you have lured me out of the woodwork. :)

I've been out of the action mainly because:
1. had a new baby and been busy with trying to solve his reflux issues
2. i hold just tsla stock now (when TSLA was under $200, I had confidence that it was undervalued and that gave me an extra margin of safety when making option/LEAP purchases, but above $200 I feel like I don't have a clear advantage).
3. i'm investing more and more time looking for the next TSLA

But I do have a lot of thoughts lately regarding Tesla and probably should post a bit more. It's just that my interest lies more in the long-term (1-10 years out) than in the weekly fluctuations.

2. i hold just tsla stock now (when TSLA was under $200, I had confidence that it was undervalued and that gave me an extra margin of safety when making option/LEAP purchases, but above $200 I feel like I don't have a clear advantage).

But I do have a lot of thoughts lately regarding Tesla and probably should post a bit more. It's just that my interest lies more in the long-term (1-10 years out) than in the weekly fluctuations.

I will be more than thrilled to hear your thoughts!

Missed you honestly... Hope your baby is ok now.

Ahh there you are :)
Thanks for the update and welcome back. I hope everything works out fine with family life, I bet it takes a lot of time, but is also very rewarding in its own ways. Looking forward to hearing more of your latest thoughts, as you put it, especially finding the next TSLA. Also thanks for the work you do with the weekly news letter.

I think it's safe to say that there is no safe bet when it comes to Earnings calls. We can see Tesla $35 higher or lower than it currently is by week's end. What I can say with confidence is that once the Model X is released and the public realized that Tesla can make more than one extraordinary vehicle, the stock will react very positively. The X has been delayed for years now because they've been perfecting every last detail and I believe it will be received by the public similar to how the model S was. Tesla doesn't rely on advertising, but rather word of mouth mainly from customers and car reports. I think by the end of the year we will see a nice appreciation in stock price due to the X release and upcoming autopilot features.