Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody experienced this before? Very slow response time on front dash screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed this a few times now, and the only thing I can think of it might be related to is when the car is exposed to long periods of very high temperatures. We've been at 100 degrees for a few days now, and it seems to happen when the car has had a long time to sit and "bake".

What I'm referring to is the computer, or operating system (for lack of a better term) lagging very noticeably. The first time I noticed it, was the worst it's been. The energy graph would stutter it's way up and down, very jerky. The rotating buttons on the steering wheel were VERY laggy (going back to my online gaming day terms...). For example, I would rotate the dial up or down and it might be 3-4 seconds before it would register that I had rotated it. The car itself handled and drove fine, but the interface on the dashboard was extremely slow. The closest thing I can compare it to is if you get an older PC computer that is loaded down with spyware and junk, then run a virus scan while simultaneously trying to render a video, and then try to surf the internet.

It happened again yesterday, not quite as bad but still there. I am just wondering if the battery pack is so hot that it's dedicating less power to everything else?

How long has it been since you last rebooted? It seems to me that most slowness (and it happens on maps for me) is due to memory fragmentation. Heat hasn't been a factor (happens in moderate temperatures as well).

I actually had this happen today for the first time, about an hour ago. I normally park in the garage but I had to move the car out to the driveway all day and it baked in the sun. It was a little over 90 degrees out today. When I moved it back into the garage I normally switch to the rear view camera so I can see if I'm far enough in and the display was very slow to respond. I had to tap the camera button many times and eventually held it down to get it to switch. I tried to turn on the A/C to cool things off and that took a lot of tapping to finally get it to register. It's all working fine now that things have cooled off somewhat. I hope that's not "normal" hot day behavior.

No the battery pack does not step down the DC DC converter due to heat. The MCU has a fan which should be audible at interior temps in excess of 130 F. I have not noticed a slow down in reponsiveness, however, if the fan is not working it may not be adequately cooling. So check that, also reboot.

Interesting! Just today I noticed the navigation (on the dash, not the 17") was very very slowly updating. It would scroll, then slowly fill in the image, as if it was coming from a very slow floppy disk with misaligned heads. And the air conditioning compressor was making so much noise that the car sounded like a Ferrari in first gear. It was 90 degrees out, cloudy, and the car was not baking in the sun. But this is the first time I've seen that much lag on the nav. Speedo seemed unaffected. I considered rebooting, but I needed the nav up to get me out of deepest darkest downtown Boston (I rarely drive the 'S there if I can help it!).