Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model 3 Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every render I have seen predicting what the model 3 looks like shows a drastic departure from the design language Tesla has employed in the Model X and the Model S.
And yet, if you look at those two models, they share almost the exact same design except the X is blown up to SUV size.

ModelS:X.gif

With that in mind I thought I would mock up what the Model 3 would look like if it shared the same styling as the Model S.
The only thing we really know about the design is it will be 20% smaller (the same length as the BMW i3) ...and this was the result:

Model 3.jpg

Its basically the same design as the model S but with a smaller trunk and frunk.
And it makes for a very consistent lineup and a pretty slick little car.

Compare SX.jpg

Thoughts?

Is it confirmed that it would be 20% smaller by volume and not length?
I've been really hoping they would produce a small car, especially for city driving.
Without an engine they could easily make a smaller car with plenty of room.

It will be to the S or X what a BMW 3-series is to 7-series or X5 or X6. So ask yourself what does a BMW330 look as compared to a 740. 20% smaller in volume or length?

I also really like the design. I agree with other posters that this will not be Model 3. My thoughts on the matter:

+ looks great
+ perfectly city sized
+ plenty of space for passengers
+ probably handles really well, especially if dual drive
+ probably an incredible platform for the next generation Raodster
+ long wheelbase -> long enough skateboard platform for sufficient batteries -> realistic 200 miles range

but

- hardly any storage space, especially if dual drive
- very short crumple zones
- might compete with Mercedes A class in size, definitely not BMW 3-series

I really do expect something like this from Tesla in the long term, and it could definitely be done with Teslas focus on practicability and performance. From the looks of it, it could even be based on the model 3 platform with front and rear shortened.

If Model 3 is for the masses it has to be first and foremost practical...well maybe second, since first will always be aerodynamics. Model 3 has to be at least 20% less in weight and equal or less drag in order to use small battery.

I think the only way to make that happen is with hachback design.

If Model 3 is for the masses it has to be first and foremost practical...well maybe second, since first will always be aerodynamics. Model 3 has to be at least 20% less in weight and equal or less drag in order to use small battery.

I think the only way to make that happen is with hachback design.
But you also have to temper that with what customers want, if you want it to sell well, and customers in the US prefer SUVs/CUVs over hatchbacks and station wagons (right or wrong).

Why do you think the Subaru Outback is marketed now as an "SUV", when they used to call it a "station wagon".

I changed my mind...I thought there was large weight savings but looking at differences between Mazda 3 hatchback and sedan (fastback) there isn't much. Also fastback has better CdA which is more important at higher speeds. So Model 3 is now more likely a fastback :smile:

I changed my mind...I thought there was large weight savings but looking at differences between Mazda 3 hatchback and sedan (fastback) there isn't much. Also fastback has better CdA which is more important at higher speeds. So Model 3 is now more likely a fastback :smile:

To me, there was never any doubt the Model 3 would be a fastback. The only remaining question is if the sedan and crossover will debut simultaneously, or a few months (or a year) apart. I think they will probably be shown together in March.