Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Millennials Opt For Used Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I a millenial?

Born in 1988,

Moved from Australia to USA to drive a Tesla (srs)

and have owned and sold 2 P85s, Own a P85D, and Own a business with 2 P85s.

All thanks to a 100k investment I made back in 2012 in TSLA. :)

I'm a 1986 millennial. I would love a Tesla. Even used ones are too pricy for me so right now I'm just an enthusiast. Last year when gas was super expensive I looked for a way to save some money. I had a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the gas expenses were sucking my bank account dry. I searched around for an alternative but there was nothing that was really going to help elevate the gas expenses enough to make me trade in my beloved jeep...that is until I found a used Volt. It was a 2012 with 24,000 mostly gas miles, for around $20k. Much less than a new one. It could get me too and from work without using gas. It was the perfect car for my needs. Now I can proudly say that I don't remember when I had to fill up last and I feel much better about driving it around than my gas guzzling jeep, something I never thought of until I switched to electric. I'm even starting to research solar for my house. It's changed my mind about driving and about the impact we have on the environment but since I can't afford a Tesla it's the next best thing. I feel like more millennials will not only buy used Tesla's but all used electrics.

Makes sense to me. The older you are, the more disposable income you generally have. Younger folks will have a harder time affording a Model S, and will look at used ones to bring the cost down. That's why I'm looking at used ones. Born in 1975. In a few more years, some additional school loans and such drop off and at that point I would just buy new.

I'm a 1986 millennial. I would love a Tesla. Even used ones are too pricy for me so right now I'm just an enthusiast. Last year when gas was super expensive I looked for a way to save some money. I had a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the gas expenses were sucking my bank account dry. I searched around for an alternative but there was nothing that was really going to help elevate the gas expenses enough to make me trade in my beloved jeep...that is until I found a used Volt. It was a 2012 with 24,000 mostly gas miles, for around $20k. Much less than a new one. It could get me too and from work without using gas. It was the perfect car for my needs. Now I can proudly say that I don't remember when I had to fill up last and I feel much better about driving it around than my gas guzzling jeep, something I never thought of until I switched to electric. I'm even starting to research solar for my house. It's changed my mind about driving and about the impact we have on the environment but since I can't afford a Tesla it's the next best thing. I feel like more millennials will not only buy used Tesla's but all used electrics.

Great story. Though some deride it, I think the volt is a great car and gateway drug

I leased a Volt back in 2012. That was a first "EV" car I drove. I loved the technology, and like you, I was able to get to work, plug in there (on a 110v), and get back home all on electric. After being sold on EV driving within the first month of leasing the Volt, I signed up for a test drive at a local Tesla event held near me and was sold. Ever since, I've been saving like crazy and now I'm proud to say I am "patiently" waiting for my 70D to be delivered (scheduled for late September!!). Should definitely be well worth the wait. FYI/BTW, I myself am a millennial ('84) and in that 36% below $100k individual income (granted, I am married to a clinical therapist who's doing ok). Moral of the story, SAVE for a generous down payment! (shoulda invested in TSLA back in 2012...). After the tax breaks and gas savings, I convinced myself the 70D is definitely worth the price tag.

Born in 1979, so just on the edge of being a Millennial. I paid off my student loans not too long ago and have no debt besides my mortgage. Have a great job that pays very well. Would love a new Model S but it's still outside of what I feel is a comfortable car payment. So last week I purchased a CPO. I would think a lot of Millenials are still paying off college loans and other debt...perhaps a large reason why a lot of young people choose to move back in with their parents after college. I believe a car in the 30-40K is more realistic, but for those that save their money wisely I think a CPO is a possibility. :)