Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further Improvements to Tesla Premium Center Console: Tan sides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I added real carbon fiber to the doors on the top of the Tesla Premium Center Console another goal was to have the side of the console upholstered in vinyl (yes, leather is overkill for this kind of mod) to match the tan interior of my car. The goal was realized today when the new sides were installed. The color is a perfect match for all of the Tesla leather and vinyl trim. The work is first rate, as I think the photos show. Here are a few photos, including a side by side before and after shot.

If anyone is interested in doing this, please PM me. I now have a spare set of side panels that I'm going to have done the same way for interested parties. If you have a tan interior and the Premium Center Console you might want to consider this -- IMHO it really adds a nice touch to the interior and the appearance of the center console.

Before and after:

DSC_6110.JPG

DSC_6356.JPG

DSC_6347.JPG

DSC_6357.JPG

DSC_6353.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6355.JPG
    DSC_6355.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,014
Last edited:
Wow! That really looks really good, like it belongs in the car. I can't stand black interiors and love the look of tan but tan seats with the black sides of the center console really clash. What you have done makes the black sides of the Tesla console look like it was an aftermarket add on, where as what you've done looks like what the Tesla console should look like. Nice job!

I personally would have gone with actual leather but it looks great just how you have done it. Did you do the sides yourself or have that done at an upholstery place.

IMHO Tesla should put you in charge of interior accessories as whoever they had manage the "premium" center control is clueless. The Center Console should really come with matching leather trim but it is good to know this is something you can do afterwards...

Wow! That really looks really good, like it belongs in the car. I can't stand black interiors and love the look of tan but tan seats with the black sides of the center console really clash. What you have done makes the black sides of the Tesla console look like it was an aftermarket add on, where as what you've done looks like what the Tesla console should look like. Nice job!

I personally would have gone with actual leather but it looks great just how you have done it. Did you do the sides yourself or have that done at an upholstery place.

IMHO Tesla should put you in charge of interior accessories as whoever they had manage the "premium" center control is clueless. The Center Console should really come with matching leather trim but it is good to know this is something you can do afterwards...

Really goes to show there's no accounting for taste - I prefer all black interiors hands down. Great job on the mod however, OP - looks like Tesla themselves made it!!

Really goes to show there's no accounting for taste - I prefer all black interiors hands down. Great job on the mod however, OP - looks like Tesla themselves made it!!

Not sure I'd bring "taste" into this as in "good taste" or "bad taste." I call black interiors "Black Hole Black" as in everything just becomes a black hole in the interior with the seats, arm rests and everything else just blending in without any detail. I like to keep my interiors pristinely clean and with a black interior I'd never really know what is clean and what is not. Also a lighter colored interior absorbs less heat and works much better IMHO with Ambient Lighting as well so there are practical benefits for some opting for a lighter interior.

So let's agree this is not about taste but a matter of personal preference. I can't stand black interiors and you apparently can't stand light inferiors but this is not a matter of accounting for taste but personal preference. Thankfully the interior color can be chosen and fort hose who have selected a tan interior and prefer lighter interior colors in general, what the OP has done works much better. Whenever I now see the tesla center console I'm going to think something is way off with the black sides clashing with a tan interior.

Great job Artsci! Could you do this for another Model S owner?

Not sure I'd bring "taste" into this as in "good taste" or "bad taste." I call black interiors "Black Hole Black" as in everything just becomes a black hole in the interior with the seats, arm rests and everything else just blending in without any detail. I like to keep my interiors pristinely clean and with a black interior I'd never really know what is clean and what is not. Also a lighter colored interior absorbs less heat and works much better IMHO with Ambient Lighting as well so there are practical benefits for some opting for a lighter interior.

So let's agree this is not about taste but a matter of personal preference. I can't stand black interiors and you apparently can't stand light inferiors but this is not a matter of accounting for taste but personal preference. Thankfully the interior color can be chosen and fort hose who have selected a tan interior and prefer lighter interior colors in general, what the OP has done works much better. Whenever I now see the tesla center console I'm going to think something is way off with the black sides clashing with a tan interior.

Great job Artsci! Could you do this for another Model S owner?

PM me please.