Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well done Greenpeace...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
I don't agree with everything they do... but this is AWESOME.

It'll be interesting to see how or when Shell gets their ship out...

Dangling-Activists-Keeping-Shell-Icebreaker-in-Portland-320x320.jpg

I don't have the time or fortitude to hang from a bridge... but I can and did send some $$$ to help those that can and do...

I saw this news pass by yesterday and took note. To set the stage, I am a rope rescue technician with many years of experience on a fire department. I tried to figure out how I would get these people off of their rope system safely (for me and them). There are a few options, but the first two that came to my mind were.

1. Use a rope haul system and pull them up. (Safe for me, not as safe for them)
2. Pick-off - This is a method used for when window washers are stuck (or other people hanging from a rope). This would require a rescuer descending down their own rope system and transferring the protestor to their system. (more risk for the protestor than rescuer)

I stopped trying to find options at this point because all options had un-need risk to the protestor and rescue workers. Every time I have gone over the edge to help someone they have been a) unresponsive or b) happy to see me. I'm not sure how these protestors would respond to a rescuer trying to stop them. Would they fight? There are more what-ifs to this situation. These people are clearly experienced climbers and comfortable where they are. To them the risk is currently low. Start adding variables to the equation and it could get ugly.

At the end of the day, these people will get hungry and will come up/down for food. Let mother nature convince them to get down.

3. Use a fine mist of water to get them wet and become uncomfortable. Let them come to you.

Safety is definitely what the rescuers are thinking about right now.

Harsh crowd here.

I'm always appreciative of people who not only have a passion for a cause, but are willing to act on it. And I appreciate what they are trying to do.

You know the saying, "The difference between commitment and involvement is the pig who gives the bacon is committed to breakfast, the chicken is involved." I'm only involved. Bravo to them for caring at this level.

I'm always appreciative of people who not only have a passion for a cause, but are willing to act on it. And I appreciate what they are trying to do.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to those having passion for a cause, or even this particular cause. I am, however, a believer that "two wrongs don't make a right". What if those on the other side of the argument decide to counter with their own unlawful actions? Anarchy is not the answer.

Last I heard, Oregon is part of a democracy. Protest. If the protest is illegal, the protesters will pay the price for their choice. Attention will be drawn to their concerns. The rest of us will either join them or not. It all takes care of itself.

Really? What if it were a slave ship? Would it still be unjust to block it?

Really? Slavery? Whats next to call Shell Hitler?

If it was a slave ship it would be illegal. Shell followed the correct legal process and was legally approved by the government. That's how a democracy works. A handful of people don't get to make the laws for everyone, no matter how strongly they feel about it.

If it was a slave ship it would be illegal. Shell followed the correct legal process and was legally approved by the government. That's how a democracy works. A handful of people don't get to make the laws for everyone, no matter how strongly they feel about it.
I agree.

There is a process to change laws, and illegal protests/actions are not it.

What if people with strongly held convictions against EVs (say the NADA or even the FCV camp) blockaded cars from being delivered out of Fremont, sabotaged the Giga Factory, or simply vandalized EV in parking lots? In their minds they are doing the right thing, so is it okay?

I'm not clear on how they get away with this. Aren't they trespassing? Couldn't the police just come by and haul them up?

... It's Portland... :wink:

Illegal and Immoral aren't always the same thing... I believe the extension of that analogy would be 'What if it was a slave ship and this was 200 years ago.."

There is a process to change laws, and illegal protests/actions are not it.

LOL... how did America get here? What started us on the road to the 13th Amendment? Remember John Browns Ferry? Remember Rosa Parks? How about the 'illegal' protests in Selma...

'illegal' protests and actions have a place... Civil Disobedience... a proud American tradition circa 1773.

Last edited: