Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winston Chung MVP Balqon RV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Check this out... 900 kWh!

Luxury Recreational EV

all.jpg

Domenick pointed out that it is also mentioned in China's Winston Global Energy orders 300 Balqon electric-drive units for buses

In 2010, Balqon continued its pioneering vision when it jointly developed the world's first electric Class A motor home with Riverside, CA based MVP RV, a company owned by Winston Global Energy.

"Demonstration of Balqon's technology integrated into a 25 ton Class A motor home in China convinced us that Balqon's zero-emissions electric vehicle technology can be applied to other vehicle platforms such as passenger buses in China," said Mr. Winston Chung, President and CEO of Winston Global Energy. "We believe that combining our lithium battery and fast charging technology with Balqon's proprietary electric drive systems will enable us to provide cost competitive zero-emissions solution to a growing global demand for electric vehicles."

Thanks for that, jcstp...

I wonder how many of the 30,000 RVs they plan to ship to China will be electrically driven vs gasoline.

Last edited:
MVP RV

I guess in US petrol is also getting more expensive, and charging your RV in an RV park seems obvious and simple!
Just wonder wat the range will be!

Here photos of the drivetrain balqon showd on twitter

Balqon E450 Zero Emission Electric Chassis
463798851.jpg

Balqon Ford E450 Electric Drive System
463798351.jpg

MVP RV World's First All Electric Class C Motorhome

MVP RV

Constructors of the Winston (Thunder Sky) RV EV

Here its video: video : http://cf.cdn.vid.ly/2e1v4i/webm.webm from 11/28/11

It uses the Balqon drivetrain!
Ford E450 Electric RV with Balqon Drive System
attachment.php?attachmentid=3575&d=1323164938.jpg

#Ford E450 Electric RV with Balqon Drive System on Twitpic

Balqon E450 Zero Emission Electric Chassis
attachment.php?attachmentid=3577&d=1323165509.jpg

Balqon E450 Zero Emission Electric Chassis on Twitpic

Balqon Ford E450 Electric Drive System
attachment.php?attachmentid=3576&d=1323165499.jpg

Balqon Ford E450 Electric Drive System on Twitpic

I guess in US petrol is also getting more expensive, and charging your RV in an RV park seems obvious and simple!
Just wonder wat the range will be!

463813693.jpg
balqon drive system.jpg
balquon drivetrain.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. Nice. Hope this works -- it could be a game-changer, being an electric house and car in one. I suspect they'll hit range and weight troubles though.

Heh. That's a type of motor vehicle which would actually benefit from solar panels on the roof... "We'll just stay here for a few weeks until we're charged up."

Heh. That's a type of motor vehicle which would actually benefit from solar panels on the roof... "We'll just stay here for a few weeks until we're charged up."
That's a type of mobile home where you cannot abort a holiday stay spoiled by bad weather... "Sorry kids, we must stay in this mess until the batteries have collected enough charge to make the trip home, and we all must conserve electricity - especially you, Ben, with your PSP!" :biggrin:

It would work well touring campsites with 14-50 in North America. European site need to up their game from 16A.

I was thinking the same thing about North America. Great for retirees that could take the time to only travel 100 miles or so per day.

Maybe in Europe it would be worth it to rent two adjacent sites, and use two 16A chargers in parallel, or one 16A to recharge, and the other for hotel loads. You also would have more room stretch out with outdoor kitchen, dining, picnic tables, awning, tent, etc.

GSP

I was thinking the same thing about North America. Great for retirees that could take the time to only travel 100 miles or so per day.

Maybe in Europe it would be worth it to rent two adjacent sites, and use two 16A chargers in parallel, or one 16A to recharge, and the other for hotel loads. You also would have more room stretch out with outdoor kitchen, dining, picnic tables, awning, tent, etc.

GSP

Of what I read, it had 200 mile range! And possible 300 miles!

I think also it's a super use of EV-tehnology such RV's
people drive relax, and 200 miles is a nice range for such a vehicle I think!

Nevertheless they've managed to miss a no-brainer: Loose that looooong and heavy driveshaft and mount the motor directly to differential.

And now - skip the long 3 phase AC wiring and mount the inverter directly to the motor!
Highly integrated, compact, cost effective and efficient. Win-win-win...
(For the Model S drivetrain, not the "put the eMotor where the gas engine usually goes" motorhome creation in this thread.)