Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Sound System

Having chosen the Standard Sound System did you

• Regret not upgrading the Sound System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Believe the Standard Sound System would be good enough for your use

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Intend to upgrade the system in the future

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Baulk at the cost to upgrade to OEM version

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Not consider upgrade because other options were preferable on budget

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • None of the above (Please add in comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From our spreadsheet about half chose not to get the upgraded sound system.
For those that have the standard sound system, did you ....

And on another matter, have you been able to improve the sound by tweaking any default settings?

Well I went in to the showroom and got them to play a particular song on both systems. I turned it up really loud too to the point that I would embarrass myself if I was to continue with the experiment... My initial impression was that the upgraded sound system was slightly better and with more bass BUT I did not feel that it justified the extra expense and I was feeling guilty enough that I had bought a really expensive car... So I decided not to get the upgraded sound system at that point.

But I went home and thought that my experiment was flawed because the song I got them to play off the internet was badly scanned and that garbage in just produced garbage out.

SO I got them to email the factory and change my order from standard to upgraded sound system... And I am now wearing the expense - but I have not regretted my decision - even though I haven't got the car yet.

I also figured that it would really suck getting someone to rip into my new car to install a better sound system when the factory can do it for you for roughly the going rate... That is my story.

---
p.s. not wanting to change the subject, but is your car built yet Brewster?

The standard sound system is pretty ordinary really. I know that a car system won't be audiophile quality no matter what you do to it but its a system that lacks resolution and dynamics. I wasn't expecting the optional 'ultra high fidelity' system to be much better and planned a sound upgrade path from the beginning: replace the original speakers then add a sub. Hopefully v7 of the software introduces some serious improvements to the software too

I've had the standard sound system for a few months and it's great! Much better than my last car. You'd have to be a keen audiophile to need a better system.
I don't think most people could notice the difference. I saved the $$ to spend on tech package and air suspension, which I find very useful.

I think it depends on depends on what you listen too if you are happy to listen to MP3 or spend a fair bit of time listening to talk back then the standard system is fine. But if you are can hear the difference between 3RRR & 3JJJ then the Factory upgrade is worth it. I have upgraded all of my car sound systems this one was the first that nailed it for me. ( not to say that that the software can't be improved. The software controls definitely has to be upgraded. 3 band EQ is a joke. )
But the cost of the upgrade is less than what I've spent on my aftermarket systems. And as I mix sound for a living then I can justify the cost.
Here is some info
Go to page 3 for the english version.
http://www.s1nn.de/system/uploads/attachment/file/548ed54bbfc4384f1f00000b/Tesla-TechnischeInformationen_deutsch_englisch.pdf
https://pic.twitter.com/A5xA5TSCi0

I think it depends on depends on what you listen too if you are happy to listen to MP3 or spend a fair bit of time listening to talk back then the standard system is fine. But if you are can hear the difference between 3RRR & 3JJJ then the Factory upgrade is worth it. I have upgraded all of my car sound systems this one was the first that nailed it for me. ( not to say that that the software can't be improved. The software controls definitely has to be upgraded. 3 band EQ is a joke. )
But the cost of the upgrade is less than what I've spent on my aftermarket systems. And as I mix sound for a living then I can justify the cost.
Here is some info
Go to page 3 for the english version.
http://www.s1nn.de/system/uploads/a...-TechnischeInformationen_deutsch_englisch.pdf
https://pic.twitter.com/A5xA5TSCi0

Thanks Davide, those links were useful and help me rationalise the extra money I have committed to spending... makes me want the car even more!