Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand this will be met with the same skepticism as my previous post, and that's ok with me. But, for those that believe....production is going into high gear next week.

If something sounds too good to be true, more often than not, it isn't true.

If anything, production of release candidates / demo cars is going into first or second gear...I don't believe actual customer (or founder's series) cars are going into production next week.

I think this rumor is likely accurate. Thugh the definition of "high gear" is quite fudgible.

I would think they would make a series of release candidate vehicles, and if they are good enough, they will be used for demo purposes, while if they aren't good enough they will be crushed (minus all reusable parts).

When they then have the machinery running smoothly, they get the founders series completed, have a handover event and simultanous design studio reveal, and then they start making signature vehicles.

That's how I would do it, at least.

(If this is accurate, we'll see the design studio in 2-3 weeks.)

Last edited:
This is the same OP who 'revealed' back in June that Model S 'recent orders' were already being fitted with body colored nose cones. Just sayin'

Tesla using the summer shutdown to prepare for Model X is no surprise. All the indications we have from Tesla suggest we'll see Model X by the the end of September. Production would not leap from zero into high gear. If production was about to go into high gear I'd have been asked to configure already, that hasn't happened yet.

This is the same OP who 'revealed' back in June that Model S 'recent orders' were already being fitted with body colored nose cones. Just sayin'.
The exact quote was "I'm not as sure on the timing but I think recently placed orders will be getting this change." We still haven't seen the front of the Model X without camo, and there's no way in hell Tesla would show the Model S with a body color nose cone before the Model X reveal, if that is the route they want to go. So it remains to be seen if that rumor is accurate.

Tesla using the summer shutdown to prepare for Model X is no surprise. All the indications we have from Tesla suggest we'll see Model X by the the end of September. Production would not leap from zero into high gear. If production was about to go into high gear I'd have been asked to configure already, that hasn't happened yet.
There can be as little as one day between the design studio being launched and non-founder production vehicles starting to get built, but obviously there'll be a ramp-up.

Anyway, I'm not saying that one should trust "throwawayaccount" blindly, take his claims with a big scoop of salt. But they could be accurate.

Of COURSE they're getting ready for X production. Throwaway states the obvious. If they weren't doing something like this soon, then I'd have to wonder what exactly Elon means when he says the X is 'on track'. I suspect that preparations are in 'high gear' next week, not actual production.

Of COURSE they're getting ready for X production. Throwaway states the obvious. If they weren't doing something like this soon, then I'd have to wonder what exactly Elon means when he says the X is 'on track'. I suspect that preparations are in 'high gear' next week, not actual production.

The part where he states that factory is shut down this week is not obvious...

I doubt that you missed this part of his post, so it seems that the fact that you are not dismissing this statement might be indicate that the factory is indeed curently shut down...

..Or I might be trying to read too much between the lines here?? (Which is shocking for any thread dealing with the Model X production prognostication)

Last edited:

I doubt that you missed this part of his post, so it seems that the fact that you are not dismissing this statement might be indicative that factory is indeed curently shut down...

..Or I might be trying to read too much between the lines here?? (Which is shocking for any thread dealing with the Model X production prognostication)

Why would they shut the factory down when they have two lines to build cars on (original line and the new S/X line)?

I doubt that you missed this part of his post, so it seems that the fact that you are not dismissing this statement might be indicate that the factory is indeed curently shut down...

I think you're reading far too much into my words. My only point is that IF the factory is shut down (and it wouldn't be completely shut down, even the OP knows better than to say that), that's all normal action at this point in the timeline.

You don't go from getting a line ready for production to 'high gear' in a week. In movies maybe. Not in real life. Ever.