Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love everything about my Tesla except this one minor thing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes a software update can fix it, and Elon even made a comment about moving to a Chrome based browser in 2014... But I wouldn't bet or plan on it being updated anytime soon. We'll probably get a browser update the same time we get an SDK to write our own apps. :/

Elon reportedly was interested in upgrading the Safari browser to Google Chrome at one point. I think there are also questions about whether Tesla's UI software is using the Tegra chipset efficiently, this may be part of the reason for the slow browser response. If true, we can hope for some improvement without relying on availability of a connectivity or hardware upgrade.

Oliver

tbh, Chrome is not the answer imho. Chrome is really bloated and even though I use it as my default browser (because of the Google Integration and features), I think a lean mean version of Webkit would be better for this implementation.

I know its webkit right now, but that really isn't the reason it is slow imho,

Probably the real answer to this irritating situation is something like "all of the above". We need to remember that both the hardware and software for this are now old and obsolete. We certainly have grounds to hope that a new solution involving both hardware (graphics, browser, sim, etc) and software will be available about the time the X reaches the Design Studio. Some of that is already part of current S production. We just do not know how much it will cost, how long we must wait to upgrade and exactly what the results will be. I wager we'll see a huge map update at the same time and the Googleist (is that a word?)in me wants Waze integration including voice reporting at the same time.

Frankly, I remember when all this was state of the art. At least we'll be able to upgrade, and it will be similar to teh upgrades we all used to do with ancient desktops changing memory, chips, even motherboards. It'll just cost a bit, probably not even a huge amount except for labor.

I've never really understood why anyone would want to use the in-car browser. Isn't it much easier to just use a smartphone or tablet for when you want to browse something in the car?

//Still waiting for my Model S...

Wouldn't you rather browse something on a 17 inch screen than on a smartphone? Most people don't want to carry tablets with them all the time, and in the U.S. most tablets are bought as Wi-Fi only, not 3G.

Elon reportedly was interested in upgrading the Safari browser to Google Chrome at one point. I think there are also questions about whether Tesla's UI software is using the Tegra chipset efficiently, this may be part of the reason for the slow browser response. If true, we can hope for some improvement without relying on availability of a connectivity or hardware upgrade.

Oliver

The browser in Model S is NOT Safari.

- - - Updated - - -

Chrome seems unnecessarily bloated for this application, wouldn't something like Firefox work much better?

Wouldn't you rather browse something on a 17 inch screen than on a smartphone? Most people don't want to carry tablets with them all the time, and in the U.S. most tablets are bought as Wi-Fi only, not 3G.

Not if the screen is fixed at an arm’s distance and has the same resolution as my phone anyway, no. It just seems like a hassle, especially when you need to type something.

The browser in Model S is NOT Safari.

- - - Updated - - -

Chrome seems unnecessarily bloated for this application, wouldn't something like Firefox work much better?

Right. The browser is based on WebKit, upon which Safari is also based. I can see where the confusion came from, but the Model S browser isn't Safari.

Realistically, there might not be much they can do. The Tegra is so ridiculously underpowered, their hands might be tied. WebKit itself is pretty lean. Certainly more lean than Chrome. It's entirely possible they realized the browser isn't going to get more responsive no matter what codebase they use until we get hardware updates for the center console. Simply doing minor browser updates here and there until they can get more processing power might be the only option.

Is it me, or have thread titles even gone to the extreme?

"You'll never believe what my Tesla did for me today, it will blow your mind!"
"My Tesla is the greatest, except for this one annoying trick..."
"Fifteen things done right by Tesla, #8 is the best!"

*thump*

If there had to be a choice, I'd rather Tesla implement CarPlay and Android Auto rather than work on the built-in browser. The fact that it exists and can, in an emergency, access the web in some fashion is enough for me. I'm not going to use it on a regular basis.

Or barring full implementation of one of those, if it were possible to mirror the screen of a tablet or smartphone, that would be terrific.