Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FLIR ONE Model S charging @ 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of wasted heat from the UMC if you ask me.
Yes, they get rather hot at 40 amps.

I have gone through 10 so far. The first 8 never lasted more then a few months, the 9th lasted well over a year and a half, and was only replaced due to trying to troubleshoot another issue, and was still good.

The reason the 9th lasted so long? I almost never charged at 40 amps. The most I'd do is 30 amps, and only RARELY used 40 if I was in a really big hurry or emergency, and in those cases, did not charge long as, like I said, emergency.

I don't have an FLIR, but I've never noticed the pack dumping heat at 40 amp charging. Is there an audible fan or coolant pump noise in the background?

Yes, they get rather hot at 40 amps.

I have gone through 10 so far. The first 8 never lasted more then a few months, the 9th lasted well over a year and a half, and was only replaced due to trying to troubleshoot another issue, and was still good.

The reason the 9th lasted so long? I almost never charged at 40 amps. The most I'd do is 30 amps, and only RARELY used 40 if I was in a really big hurry or emergency, and in those cases, did not charge long as, like I said, emergency.

Wow, I've only gone thru 1.