Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISO cord and adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I'm looking for a what Tesla calls a "Mobile Connector Main Unit with 20 ft cable" (what I call "the cable") and a NEMA 14-50 adapter.

It would be for home charging use only so I could leave the cable and adapters that came with the car in the car for use away from home.

I guess I don't understand fully. The UMC kit for $650 includes everything you want, plus one NEMA 5-15 adapter.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Mobile Connector Bundle

So you're looking for this kit, minus one adapter worth $45 retail. I don't think you're going to find it anywhere other than TM for $650, or used on Ebay for $450 with no warranty.

Tesla Universal Mobile Conector UMC | eBay

You can also build your own EVSE with a Tesla cable and OpenEvse

Tesla UMC Plug | eBay and OpenEV Store - OpenEV Store

But by the time you're done, it's going to be around $500, so it seems less effort and better to just buy the UMC for $650.

I guess I don't understand fully. The UMC kit for $650 includes everything you want, plus one NEMA 5-15 adapter.

Actually all I want is the cable and the 14-50 adapter. I'd keep that permanently plugged in at home for charging the car there.

That way a complete kit (cable with all the adapters and carrying case) could stay in the car for use on the road.

But as you've suggested, the more I look the more I think I'm going to end up buying a complete second kit. Maybe then I can sell the unneeded parts.

A little frustrating too as shortly after buying the car I found the 14-50 adapter could not be removed from the cable. No big deal as that's all I use at home and it worked fine as an unintentionally sealed unit. But I wanted a "good" one so the SC replaced the cable and adapter.

For a short while I had just what I wanted (complete kit and extra cable and 14-50 adapter). But the SC said they needed the faulty cable to send back to the factory. I even offered to buy it back but no go.

Actually all I want is the cable and the 14-50 adapter. I'd keep that permanently plugged in at home for charging the car there.

That way a complete kit (cable with all the adapters and carrying case) could stay in the car for use on the road.

But as you've suggested, the more I look the more I think I'm going to end up buying a complete second kit. Maybe then I can sell the unneeded parts.

A little frustrating too as shortly after buying the car I found the 14-50 adapter could not be removed from the cable. No big deal as that's all I use at home and it worked fine as an unintentionally sealed unit. But I wanted a "good" one so the SC replaced the cable and adapter.

For a short while I had just what I wanted (complete kit and extra cable and 14-50 adapter). But the SC said they needed the faulty cable to send back to the factory. I even offered to buy it back but no go.

It sounds like you’re still a bit unclear on this. You refer to the kit and “all the adapters” as if there are a dozen of them and “Maybe then I can sell the unneeded parts”.

As HankLloydRight pointed out, it only comes with two adapters, one of which is the one you want, so there is one extra part that you could sell. Well, there is also the bag, which isn’t worth anything.

That sounds odd. How can you replace a lost or broken UMC? What would you replace it with?

My guess is that the actually do have them for situations like this, but not for sale. In fact my UMC was replaced by Tesla for (I think) the 3rd time just recently.

I was debating getting a second UMC to leave at home, but for $100 more, the HPWC made more sense to me. When I went in to pick it up a couple of weeks ago, they told me that this was actually my only option because the UMCs are no longer offered for sale.

My guess is that the actually do have them for situations like this, but not for sale. In fact my UMC was replaced by Tesla for (I think) the 3rd time just recently.

I was debating getting a second UMC to leave at home, but for $100 more, the HPWC made more sense to me. When I went in to pick it up a couple of weeks ago, they told me that this was actually my only option because the UMCs are no longer offered for sale.
To me, this reinforces the idea that the release of the Model X will bring a new, redesigned, and more robust portable charge cord.

It sounds like you’re still a bit unclear on this. You refer to the kit and “all the adapters” as if there are a dozen of them and “Maybe then I can sell the unneeded parts”.

As HankLloydRight pointed out, it only comes with two adapters, one of which is the one you want, so there is one extra part that you could sell. Well, there is also the bag, which isn’t worth anything.

You are correct. Silly me. I was going by (faulty) memory. I thought the kit included the cord and several adapters. Turns out it's only 3 in the kit that comes with the car and, as you mentioned, two with the kit that's sold separately.

So I went ahead and bought the kit.

BTW, speaking the kit that comes with the car, one of the two zippers opens a compartment with some sort of velcro attachment, a long skinny elastic "tube" that looks like it would hold a pencil and a larger elastic retainer device that might hold a cell phone (see picture). Any thoughts on what those are for?

case.jpg

My 85D doesn't have a frunk under carpet storage and my tow hook was stored in the UMC bag.
I've moved it to a tool bag in the frunk for easy access.

...and if, like me, you don't drive around with your UMC (and the new UMC bag with the tow hook), then you take the tow hook out of the bag and place it into your S. But the D versions do not allow easy access under the frunk floor. For my wife's S70D, it's in a bag in the frunk. My S85, no tow hook, and no threaded receptacle behind the nose cone, either.