Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone been to Snowshoe WV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading up this weekend to ride some bicycles and I'm trying to figure out the best place to charge (no superchargers on the I-81 corridor yet).

Google Maps

Looks like I'm going to have to hit a campground or two on the way up and on the way back. Has anyone been to any of them along the way?

Most importantly, has anyone actually charged at Snowshoe? I called and they said they had two EV parking spots, but I'm wondering if they're 110s. No one up there can give me an answer over the phone.

I'd be massively appreciative for any help with this - heading up in two days and trying to avoid driving my wife's VW.

1. I LOVE this southern winter ski resort gem
2. I Usually stay in the Rimfire that has indoor parking where I located a few 120v receptacles (but not to be relied upon for charging).
3. I would ask to speak to a maintanace manager to obtain real hardcore electrical offerings such as J1772, 14-50, 14-30, 10-30, 6-50, 5-20 (any of which I can lend you)
4. Please be careful of MULTIPLE (energy gulping) elevation changes over the many mountains
5. I enjoy charging with an extensive array of extension cords, 3rd party adapters, home brewed adapters, and a 50' UMC but I am too chicken to attempt this until the Staunton super opens.

image.jpg

Starting my campaign - email to Snowshoe:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/forms/contact-us.aspx

Hi There,

I am planning on coming to Snowshoe this winter, again in the late spring for Wanderlust, and again the next winter. It would be really great if I could drive there using my Tesla, but you don't have electric car chargers. Please consider installing these, especially since Tesla is now installing a supercharger in Lexington VA and has one installed already in Strausburg, VA. The nearest other chargers for Tesla are 2 at the Greenbriar.

Again, please consider,

Regards,

...Andrew

Drucifer,

The campaign sounds great! A couple of quick thoughts that might help make it an easier sell:

Really all we need are 14-50 Outlets, which are cheap, and standard for RVs. That removes a lot of the cost and moves you from exotic EV charging to just outlets. To add to the just outlets theme, along with a number of 14-50s, even just a ton of 120V outlets inside their indoor parking would be very helpful for those that are in for a couple of days.

Also, we could point them to Tesla's destination charging program which would cover most of their costs...

Peter

Drucifer,

The campaign sounds great! A couple of quick thoughts that might help make it an easier sell:

Really all we need are 14-50 Outlets, which are cheap, and standard for RVs. That removes a lot of the cost and moves you from exotic EV charging to just outlets. To add to the just outlets theme, along with a number of 14-50s, even just a ton of 120V outlets inside their indoor parking would be very helpful for those that are in for a couple of days.

Also, we could point them to Tesla's destination charging program which would cover most of their costs...

Peter

I will expand the discussion when/if they reply. I am probably going up this winter in a friends 4x4 - since my Model S is rear wheel drive, but for the summer trip, I would really rather take my Model S. Hopefully, my wife will be getting Model X in 2017, and we would use that going forward from there.

Drucifer,

Peter
I agree. More likely to get a useful response in the form of installing 14-50 s if they know that that is sufficient.