Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the UMC fit in the wall charger replacement organizer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 465

Well, yes but.... I have one of those on my wall for my UMC, but when the cable is coiled around it some, then the handle isn’t always hanging precisely straight down. If there is a little angle to it, it will slip right off that tab in there and fall down. Mine did that a couple of times, and I couldn’t get it to stay in there, so I didn’t want it falling out of there and smacking against my motorcycle, so I leave it hanging over the top.

Well, yes but.... I have one of those on my wall for my UMC, but when the cable is coiled around it some, then the handle isn’t always hanging precisely straight down. If there is a little angle to it, it will slip right off that tab in there and fall down. Mine did that a couple of times, and I couldn’t get it to stay in there, so I didn’t want it falling out of there and smacking against my motorcycle, so I leave it hanging over the top.

Totally agree. I only use it to loop the the cord but not to hook/strain the Tesla connector end.

iCAR's install looks SUPER clean (LOVE the diamond plate and may have to steal this approach lol)!!! (it's just a little too tightly wound for me, but I am paranoid about charging weather it's my 14-30 or HPWC)

Last edited:
If you don't make the loops so small, it will stay there just fine. With larger loops, for me, it also can be plugged into the car in one motion without uncoiling any loop.

Last edited:
If you don't make the loops so small, it will stay there just fine. With larger loops, for me, it also can be plugged into the car in one motion without uncoiling any loop.

I know you are trying to help, but I am desperately holding back my sarcasm. Yes, I already tried several sizes of loops and orientations, and it wouldn't quite hang straight enough to reliably stay on there.

I played with the cool hanger when I finally got my HPWC mounted. I'm geeky like that.
Ultimately it's just the angle of entry that counts. More parallel to the plane of the wall = mo better.
If I tucked the *last loop* thru the loophole, behind the other loops, sure enough the cable was flat-against-the-wall enough to be angled to hold in the clip.

...After two days of doing this, I started just laying the nozzle across the top of the loop-holder along with the other loops. I guess I'm not THAT geeky.

Last edited:
I do only one or two large loops and I'm also not confident of the connector staying. It's virtually impossible to have enough cable hanging to ensure a straight vertical angle on the connector.

Instead of mounting it directly on the wall, could you mount it perpendicular (perhaps on a small bracket)? That way the holder socket would always be in the same plane as the charging cable.

My connector tends to fall out a lot when the kids put it in there, small or large loops. I've been considering modifying it with a small wedge block beneath it to pull the bottom out from the wall a bit more.

I played with the cool hanger when I finally got my HPWC mounted. I'm geeky like that.
Ultimately it's just the angle of entry that counts. More parallel to the plane of the wall = mo better.
If I tucked the *last loop* thru the loophole, behind the other loops, sure enough the cable was flat-against-the-wall enough to be angled to hold in the clip.

...After two days of doing this, I started just laying the nozzle across the top of the loop-holder along with the other loops. I guess I'm not THAT geeky.
Yep, I also gave up on the finicky hook and just leave it looped. NBD, other than I always appreciate good design and this isn't it.

I have two HPWCs.

One of the electricians that installed one of them added a simple wooden bracket, made with some scrap wood, while the other electrician was cleaning up.

But at my other location I installed one of these to hold the cable, and I just dangle the end over the coiled cable. It seems safer that way.

Tornado 40 lb. Small Black Steel U-Hook-48004 - The Home Depot

Home Depot bracket.jpg

To the OP: the cost of the above is less than a fifth the cost of the Tesla bracket, and I think you'll find it will hold the cable much more easily.

Yep, I also gave up on the finicky hook and just leave it looped. NBD, other than I always appreciate good design and this isn't it.

I like the Wedge idea FlasherZ is pondering. But the company could perhaps change the angle of the "hole" too for increased grab.

This is an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer to produce 20-degree wedge adapterz for existing brackets.

Honestly, $25 is not really a cost concern considering the check I need to write for the car. :)

I understand.

I just honestly think the $5 option from Home Depot is actually a lot more functional.

I received your $25 option free, (included with my HPWC), and am not using it, as there isn't really enough space to coil the cable well.

I was just trying to provide another option. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.