Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even this Volt owner knows...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
... that he's not driving an EV:

CP_Volt_Small.jpg

(seen on my commute to work this morning. All intended in good fun...)

They're from a coal-producing area and are happy to be powered by coal.

The first Volt I saw was on a snowy day in my (small) city, the car was, I think, from PA, and had a sticker on the rear that said "Powered By Coal".

As scottf says, your comment makes no sense. If anything they _are_ identifying with it being an EV. But please, let's not start _that_ debate again.

Since electric cars are so efficient (as are large coal power plants presumably) I'd be curious to know just how much coal is needed to propel a Volt or a Model S... eg. x miles per lump of coal :tongue:

I actually did this calculation last year: ... How Much Was Consumed? - fan of the underdog | Seeking Alpha

Essentially: 2000 lbs of coal = 2460 KWh = 7257 (assuming 2.95 miles/kwh) ... ~3.6285 miles per pound of coal.

I actually did this calculation last year: ... How Much Was Consumed? - fan of the underdog | Seeking Alpha

Essentially: 2000 lbs of coal = 2460 KWh = 7257 (assuming 2.95 miles/kwh) ... ~3.6285 miles per pound of coal.

That's funny that we were posting at the same time. Using my numbers (5,500 miles/2,000 lbs), I get 2.75 miles per pound of coal, which is about 25% fewer miles than your calculation. Did you happen to take into account transmission and charger losses? I calculated about 10% for each, I think.

That's funny that we were posting at the same time. Using my numbers (5,500 miles/2,000 lbs), I get 2.75 miles per pound of coal, which is about 25% fewer miles than your calculation. Did you happen to take into account transmission and charger losses? I calculated about 10% for each, I think.

Nope, didn't factor in either losses, because they're dependent on distance to the power plant and the 2.95 miles/kwh was fairly pessimistic anyway (even more so for the volt. With our two numbers, Lex has a range band that (s)he can play with.