Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19' Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my car when they had just switched over to the Michelin. When my car arrived it came with Goodyears though. I drove about 800 miles on the Goodyears before Tesla finally replaced them with the Michelins. Can't say I noticed much of a difference. Right now I have about 37,000 miles on the Michelin. Will replace them around 40,000-45,000 miles. They have been great. Even drove them in the winter last year and they did fine but plan on getting winter tires this year.

I ordered my car when they had just switched over to the Michelin. When my car arrived it came with Goodyears though. I drove about 800 miles on the Goodyears before Tesla finally replaced them with the Michelins. Can't say I noticed much of a difference. Right now I have about 37,000 miles on the Michelin. Will replace them around 40,000-45,000 miles. They have been great. Even drove them in the winter last year and they did fine but plan on getting winter tires this year.

37,000 miles is a good range that you got...I had Michelin's on mine and the tire wore out at 27,000 miles... I have now Pirelli Cinturato all season plus and I love them.

@TomServo: I love Michelin and I think the cars come standard with it now...I tried design studio and I don't see any options for michelin primacy upgrade which was there when I placed my deposit

Last edited:
TexasEV is correct. Early cars with 19" wheels only got Goodyear Eagle tires. There was no other choice. Later in 2013, the 85kWh got the Primacy tire upgrade free, and it was optional for the 60kWh cars. Later, all cars go the Primacy as there were no more option for the Goodyears.

My car came with the Goodyear tires. I replaced them with the Michelin Primacy tires. My opinion is the Michelin tires are WAY better. Worth paying almost twice as much for them? Yes.

I did exactly the same thing, but it was because for some bizarre reason, the Goodyears became unbearably noisy. I figured I'd go with the Primacys because maybe Tesla knew something and that's why they switched OEM suppliers. In my opinion, they handle and perform no different than the Goodyears, but then I'm not one to push my car or its tires.

I got the Michelin Primacy tires on my 70D with no choices when I ordered. They seem OK but the lack of tire baffling in the Model S and/or the 40+ PSI pressure + the weight of the Model S means that I hear the actual pneumatic pressure in each tire when running silent.

I'm of the thought that the sheer weight and torque capabilities of this car are what chew-up tires so I've been trying to temper my "launch" enthusiasm as I have no interest in replacing tires every year... I've been happy to run a set for 4 or 5 years on past cars (with separate winter and summer sets).

... I have about 37,000 miles on the Michelin. Will replace them around 40,000-45,000 miles. They have been great. Even drove them in the winter last year and they did fine but plan on getting winter tires this year.
You don't say where in USA you are.. I respect your privacy but can we find out how much winter snow and ice you get ? I'm really tempted to run the Primacy's through our Toronto winter at least this one time. With my D model I am hoping it could work out OK, at least this one season while I recalibrate my finances :crying:

37,000 miles is a good range that you got...I had Michelin's on mine and the tire wore out at 27,000 miles... I have now Pirelli Cinturato all season plus and I love them.

@TomServo: I love Michelin and I think the cars come standard with it now...I tried design studio and I don't see any options for michelin primacy upgrade which was there when I placed my deposit

I do a lot of highway driving. Not too many opportunities to accelerate from a stop! ;)
I love Pirelli Tires. Was wondering what to get after the Michelin's wear out. Will look into the Cinturato.

I read a clip from Tesla somewhere (JB?) that Primacy tires were the lowest rolling resistance oem for Tesla model S. I have had good experiences with them. (2013 P85 with 49,000 miles on original Primacy tires, 293 wh/mi lifetime average. Quiet tires, reasonable handling even in rain. Not sure about snow (SoCal) Now on P85D with quiet ride, decent handling though not as good as recent P85+ loaner.

I read a clip from Tesla somewhere (JB?) that Primacy tires were the lowest rolling resistance oem for Tesla model S.

I went from the Goodyears to the Primacys earlier this year. With about 2 years on the Goodyears and about 5 months on the Primacys, I could discern no difference in my vehicles efficiency that I could attribute to the tires. I record my consumption data monthly. The winter Nokian Hakka R2s I use are designated Ultra Low Rolling Resistance and I also find no difference in my vehicle's efficiency with them when I switch over. Of course, efficiency drops as the weather gets colder and winter sets in, but that has nothing to do with the tires.

I read a clip from Tesla somewhere (JB?) that Primacy tires were the lowest rolling resistance oem for Tesla model S

That is probably true for highway driving. I had better Wh/mi on the GY in town, but they didn't last very long due to the early alignment problems. They also didn't "skip" on turns the way the GYs did.

So I'm getting close, perhaps done in terms of my 19" Primacy tires. 25k miles, but the right rear just got a small puncture wound from a staple in the sidewall and it's leaking air. Just got the low tire pressure warning and had to put some air in it. SC picking it up Friday for its 25k service anyway so they're going to look into it. Some questions for those who have replaced their tires...
1. What's your recommendation for tires? I'd much prefer 40k or more miles on a set of tires and am OK with trading off a little range or noise (the car's so quiet anyway). But I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a set of tires. Would love some opinions. Lifetime wh/mi is 334. So I guess I'm a little high.
2. Have you had the SC put the tires on for you? How did that work? I was thinking of ordering off Tire Rack.com and having them shipped to the SC. They'll get my car for a week since I'm on vacation next week so there's plenty of time to do the work.

Thanks!

So I'm getting close, perhaps done in terms of my 19" Primacy tires. 25k miles, but the right rear just got a small puncture wound from a staple in the sidewall and it's leaking air. Just got the low tire pressure warning and had to put some air in it. SC picking it up Friday for its 25k service anyway so they're going to look into it. Some questions for those who have replaced their tires...
1. What's your recommendation for tires? I'd much prefer 40k or more miles on a set of tires and am OK with trading off a little range or noise (the car's so quiet anyway). But I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a set of tires. Would love some opinions. Lifetime wh/mi is 334. So I guess I'm a little high.
2. Have you had the SC put the tires on for you? How did that work? I was thinking of ordering off Tire Rack.com and having them shipped to the SC. They'll get my car for a week since I'm on vacation next week so there's plenty of time to do the work.

Thanks!

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Awesome tires. Im around 34k with them and they have 3-4/32" left BUT I have to replace them now anyway because I ignored replacing bushings on the rear during my last visit bc it was gonna cost $1k and the result was feathering on one tire and burning through the inner shoulder down to the cords on the other. Oh well. Maybe next time I should listen to the service center techs haha

Update: A bit of a surprise, but Raleigh SC measured about 50% tire wear on my Michelin's at 25k miles, so I didn't have to get a full set. However the staple that pierced the sidewall of one tire forced me to purchase 2 new ones since they could not plug the side wall. Because of this, I just went with the Michelin's again. So I guess I'll roll on those for some time...

For those of you looking to have the SC install the tires, buy online to find the best price. SC quoted $300/tire on Primacy MXM4's but I quickly found the same tire for under $260 at Tire Rack.com. Probably could have found even cheaper if I really wanted to take the time to search but I was on vacation and didn't want to while away my time saving another $50...