Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Slowmode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When parking and or driving where there is little room for error I would have loved a "Slow Mode" or prescision mode.

when enabled car tops out at 10kph and a floored pedal would maybe be 5-10kw power. I believe this would make handling the car through narrow passways and sharp turns a lot easier?

any thoughts?

I've driven a P85+ and an 85 with the 6.2 firmware. In both cases, the modulation of the Model S accelerator pedal was, in my estimation, fantastic for low-speed precision already. I had no trouble at all making the car move as slowly as I wanted. Creep was off.

The feature is not needed IMO.

I have an 85D and for me, I would not need this at all. I have creep off, and using only the accelerator pedal, I can control the car with probably 5x the precision with which I can control an ICE. When I drive into my garage, I can position the car within 1/4" of where I want it, and can approach that point at a 1/2" per second speed quite easily.

This has nothing to do with my skill (which is average most of the time, maybe slightly better on a good day) -- it's the nature of the electric drive.

This may be a safety issue. Imagine being in slow mode and you see an out of control car skidding straight at you. And reading some comments above, I just realized that my 85D is super accurate in slow speeds: I always park my car almost within an inch of where I want, every single time. I could never do it with my other gas car.

I leave creep mode off. I often give demos how easy it is to move millimeter by millimeter with absolute precision. There is nothing else like it. It makes parallel parking when you your trying to get real close to the curb without hitting really easy.

Generally speaking, I have no problem as my S85 gives me precise enough control through modulation of the go-pedal. That said, I realize not everyone may have the same precise ability to control the go-pedal. Case in point, my right foot has been in a boot for a few weeks now while I heal. As such, I have found I cannot "feel" the go-pedal anymore to have precise control. I have a couple times now turned on creep to help with low speed parking maneuvers.

This sounds like a joke? Seriously, the electric drivetrain is amazing at low-speeds. Trying to slowly move up a ramp, over a speed bump, or simply parking in tight spaces is way more controlled in the Model S compared to any gasoline engine-powered car with a manual or automatic transmission.

I don't own a Tesla, but how would that differ from leaving creep mode on?

My own EV is incredibly precise for low-speed and I don't need to turn on Eco Mode (basically does what you'd describe in a Slow Mode) to reach that precision.

I don't own a Tesla, but how would that differ from leaving creep mode on?

My own EV is incredibly precise for low-speed and I don't need to turn on Eco Mode (basically does what you'd describe in a Slow Mode) to reach that precision.

In creep mode, power is constantly applied which means you have to use friction brakes to modulate the power to the wheels.

The reason this matter boils down to physics. The coefficient of friction between two objects is almost always more for static friction than it is for kinetic friction. This means that the brake pedal force needed to keep a stopped car from resisting the force to move it is less than if the car is already moving i.e. the force to keep the drums or rotors moving against the brake pads is less if the drums or rotors are already locked. Once the brake force is lifted enough to allow the force from the motivating device to overcome the brake force, the drums or rotors turn, but to stop them, you have to apply more force than it took for the release.

What this means is that the point at which the car stops or goes has a large overlap in the pedal points that stop the car or let it go. It means you can't hold the brake pedal at one point between stop and go because those points overlap. The result is when you're trying to inch along millimeter by millimeter, every time the car stops, you have to lift the brake pedal a bunch just to inch forward again and the sudden *change* in the co-efficient of friction results in the car lurching forward no matter how slowly you lift up.

BTW, if you a car that has creep and it can't be turned off, you'll realize just how much more precise the MS is with it's creep turned off when you finally try it.

I'll have to look forward to it.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if my Leaf already does power modulation (not related to braking) with the creep by using the brake pedal. My car (and I imagine a lot of other EVs out there) apply 0 power, then regen braking well before taking my foot fully off the fun pedal, and I've been able to sustain a rate of speed well under the normal creep threshold with light brake pressure--seems like it'd make sense for EV engineers to let the brake pedal control actual motor power and acceleration at very low speeds just like the fun pedal controls regen braking.

I'll have to see when the Model 3 comes out how the two differ, as my Leaf with creep is already incredibly precise at low speed control.