Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Notice Navigation Insists on Local Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live exactly 5.2 miles from the closest SuC in Woodbridge, Va. It seems that 50% of the time the car prefers to begin the trip by stopping by the local SuC regardless of SOC. Over the weekend, I figured I'd indulge the Nav system. It said I needed to go to the Woodbridge SuC for 0 minutes - and I did. I plugged into the SuC and was instantly ready to go. Failure to comply means the Nav system will attempt to get me to turn around desperately for 8-15 miles into each roadtrip requiring SuC stops when leaving my house (annoying), but I'll get over it for now.

More interestingly, I cannot plan a trip home without it routing to the local SuC regardless of the estimated SOC at the final destination (my house). My workaround for routing home is to simply delete charging stops from the trip screen when I'm at my last SuC stop before coming home. For example, coming from NYC to VA this weekend, I routed to my home, and then at the Newark, DE SuC I deleted all charging stops which resolves the issue. Otherwise, I'm going to the local SuC! All this makes very little sense.

If Tesla wants to discourage local charging, perhaps they should configure the Nav system to stop routing people who live close to the SuC to the local SuC on every trip? Just a thought.

The trip planner stuff is beta, and needs a bit of work. I am sure its going to be fine in the next few releases. There are multiple posts on it doing some crazy things with routing, your not alone. O to get past the charging stops.. press the "trip" button at the bottom of the directions, it will flip the menu.. then press "remove all charging stops"

The trip planner stuff is beta, and needs a bit of work.
"a bit of work", yes that all it needs :)

Heck even the normal, no-changing-required route planning needs work. It's route yesterday for me was 30 minutes longer than Apple or Google maps. It wanted to use a route that was almost 2 hours, vs an hour and 20 minutes for everyone else. I never trust it for any complex routes...

"a bit of work", yes that all it needs :)

Heck even the normal, no-changing-required route planning needs work. It's route yesterday for me was 30 minutes longer than Apple or Google maps. It wanted to use a route that was almost 2 hours, vs an hour and 20 minutes for everyone else. I never trust it for any complex routes...

It knows you like driving your Tesla and wanted to give you more time with it! :biggrin:
OTOH, it needs some serious work. It has so many bugs that I am not sure where to start.

If I could just delete a particular stop, I'd be happy with such an option. Say I could just delete one SuC on the proposed route - problem solved. It's actually somewhat annoying, because I can't plan a trip leaving my house to say Florida without it routing to my local SuC. The consequence of this is I can't see how much charge I need to make the first real stop in say Glen Allen, VA. What I have to do is route to the Glen Allen SuC, delete all chargers and then see if I have adequate SOC to make that hop. If I could just delete my local SuC, I would, and then I could use the Nav system as intended.

Maybe in v7.0, I guess...

If I could just delete a particular stop, I'd be happy with such an option. Say I could just delete one SuC on the proposed route - problem solved. It's actually somewhat annoying, because I can't plan a trip leaving my house to say Florida without it routing to my local SuC. The consequence of this is I can't see how much charge I need to make the first real stop in say Glen Allen, VA. What I have to do is route to the Glen Allen SuC, delete all chargers and then see if I have adequate SOC to make that hop. If I could just delete my local SuC, I would, and then I could use the Nav system as intended.

Maybe in v7.0, I guess...

Delete the charge stops, then add them in manually.

Yes, it's definitely screwy.

I was leaving a supercharger in Milford CT heading north, and navigated to the next supercharger on I-95 which is in Rhode Island. I was at 174 rated miles, instead of just sending me up the interstate for 90 miles, or so, it wanted me to backtrack to the Greenwich CT supercharger first for some reason.

Delete the charge stops, then add them in manually.

Can you post a video of that process? I'm not sure it's possible. What would be great is a little "X" to the right of the SuC stops when you press the trip button to see all the chargers selected for the route. Bonus: Show the percentage of charge remaining estimate for the following stop assuming you skipped the next available stop. With that solution, I'd know whether or not I should hit the "X" and skip a SuC on my route.

Nomination for 2015 Understatement of the Year Award!

:biggrin:

Agreed! Having done many 1,000's of kms of road trips using v6.2, I am amazed that Tesla shipped this at all. Clearly it was rushed out for the "end of range anxiety" announcement, which was quite premature.

I find it hard to believe that this bug could be that hard to fix. I certainly hope this behaviour, and the related behaviour of wanting to turn you around to the PREVIOUS supercharger, seemingly if you are predicted to arrive at the NEXT stop with any less than 20% SOC, is completely quashed in v7.0.

This is really an embarrassment to Tesla, IMHO.