Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D in production, but expected delivery is later than for new order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an odd experience.

Ordered 7/4 with preliminary delivery in September, confirmed 7/5, got VIN #96399 on 7/6, then went into production 7/18. Now the car is still in production but the expected delivery has been changed to October. However, when I go into the design studio for my country (Sweden) it says late September delivery if I were to order an identical spec now.

How is it possible that my car that's already been in production for over a week can have a later expected delivery than a new car ordered today? When I look at the order spreadsheet from another thread on this forum, I can see other cars with around the same VIN exiting production as planned. I have spoken to other people from Sweden who have ordered after me and they still have September as their delivery date. It's a pretty basic specification with few options, so it shouldn't be parts availability either (besides, wouldn't that just have meant a longer time in production queue - once they start production they should have all the parts, right?).

My advice - contact your DS and ask. They know more than the site tells us.

My speculation - the site is wrong about current lead times and your estimate is based on shipping to your exact pick up location. I configured a car recently with location as Nashville and it showed late August delivery - this would be impossible based on my timelines for the car I ordered in June. I think the ordering site is basically just wrong.

I already asked my DS and got a completely generic response.

The estimate was September until the car was well into production. Based on previous deliveries this was not at all an impossible estimate. Besides, there are only two pick up locations in my country and mine is the one closer to where the final assembly is (in the Netherlands) so if my estimate was wrong from the start that means all estimates for my country are always wrong.

It's possible the method they were using to ship the cars to you had an issue and is pushing things back. Not sure though of course. Website likely just wrong.

Anything is possible, obviously. What's really confusing me though is that it seems that just my order is affected. A new order, according to the design studio, will be delivered before mine. And other people in the same area who have ordered before me have not had their orders pushed back. So it seems something has happened specifically to my car.

This may have to do with your delivery location. Tesla may be waiting until enough orders bound for your region can be shipped together. When Tesla eventually establishes a factory in Europe, these variables will go away.

Still doesn’t explain why others in my area have not had their orders delayed or why the estimate for a new order is earlier than my current estimate.

I just talked to my DS and it turns out that the car is in "NVH burn-in". So it should be ready soon, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. He had no idea why my car says October now while other people whose cars have not even begun production still have September.

I just talked to my DS and it turns out that the car is in "NVH burn-in". So it should be ready soon, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. He had no idea why my car says October now while other people whose cars have not even begun production still have September.

I think the automated system puts in a guess, the Sales Person updates it at sales time, then the DS changes it to what he really thinks based on communication with the factory. I had a Late July delivery time and emailed my DS to ask if that was on-track. He said basically "not a chance". He said the Sales Person was being aggressive and it would probably be August. I checked the website about an hour later and my estimate had changed to Late August. It seems like he made the change...