Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JB Straubel video, 13 May 2015, Think 15 Seminar, 52 min

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video was uploaded on 15 Jul 2015 even though it was recorded two months before that on 13 May 2015.
It is 52 min long. It has less than 300 views. It is fairly undiscovered yet.
If you like Tesla videos longer than 20 minutes, check out this wiki I started here.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I thought was interesting is how he said (starting at 49:00) that the mass-move towards zero-carbon is not going to be motivated by fear of climate change or running out of oil but that it will be driven by cheaper energy and better/faster/cheaper cars. He is so right. Too high of a percentage of people don't care about any of those environmental issues. All they care about is how much it will cost (or save them) and how much it will inconvenience them (or not). Once electric cars and solar get cheaper (and they will), the masses will come flocking. It's kind of shame because you can't put a price on the environment, but unfortunately, that's how most people think.

One thing I thought was interesting is how he said (starting at 49:00) that the mass-move towards zero-carbon is not going to be motivated by fear of climate change or running out of oil but that it will be driven by cheaper energy and better/faster/cheaper cars. He is so right. Too high of a percentage of people don't care about any of those environmental issues. All they care about is how much it will cost (or save them) and how much it will inconvenience them (or not). Once electric cars and solar get cheaper (and they will), the masses will come flocking. It's kind of shame because you can't put a price on the environment, but unfortunately, that's how most people think.

I agree with you.
I think that Elon was always ahead of me (in so many ways) in saying that they wanted to make a "compelling" EV. A compelling 35k 200 mi Tesla EV will be, I believe, a big deal. Compelling. Game changer.

Look at this way. At some point the cost polluting the environment will make the ICE more directly expensive to the common man in ways that we still don't know yet.

That with the decreasing cost of EVs will take care of the transition.