Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FLAC File Information Not Being Retrieved by Media App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is a small annoyance but I can't seem to figure it out. Like most of you with the Premium Sound Package, I play audio files through the Tesla Media App off a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB Drive. I have a two folders on the USB drive, one folder for music recorded in MP3 format (called "MP3s") and one folder for music recorded in FLAC (called "FLACs") (I know creative, right?) Anyway, both folders are otherwise organized the same: Artist Folder, then Album Folder containing the actual music files (as well as a jpeg of the album art which we all know the Media App won't use as of version 6.2) so, for example: FLACs/Alabama Shakes/Sound & Color/02 - Don't Wanna Fight.flac or MP3s/Arcade Fire/The Suburbs/05 - Empty Room.mp3.

The Media App handles the MP3 files as expected, playing them back and showing song title, artist name and album along with album art. In addition, the MP3 files appear when browsing in Media App by "Artist" as well as by "Album."

The Media App will play back the FLAC files but will not display anything other than the song title, so no artist name, no album title and, of course, no album art. The FLAC files will only appear when browsed for in the Media App by Folder and will show as "No Artists" and "No Albums" when browsed by "Artist" or "Album." The files will still appear when browsed by "Songs".

The FLAC files are ripped via Exact Audio Copy and the file information metadata is obtained from the GD3 Database. All of the correct information is there as confirmed when FLAC files are played using my computer audio player.

I have played with the formatting of the FLAC file song titles, removed all MP3 files from the USB drive, organized the drive with just the artist subfolders without the "FLACs" master folder, and still nothing gets the Media App to read the metadata on the FLAC files even though the songs play through the Media App. I know other people on this forum have been successful in getting the Model S Media App to recognize FLAC files so what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT Nevermind, metadata wasn't set up right in EAC. Got it working

Last edited:
EDIT Nevermind, metadata wasn't set up right in EAC. Got it working

Glad you got it working.

Two tips that will help as you mess with this stuff:

1. Your cover art is not being used. The Tesla system is going out and finding it online.

2. Any changes you make to the meta data files won't be incorporated unless you change the folder name.

There are lots of threads on this stuff, with posts by people who know a lot more than I do, and understand this stuff a lot better than I do. You may want to read some of them, but I think the above two tips should help.

One issue I've noticed is that cover art fails to be retrieved if the artist, album, or song title strings in the file's metadata contain any symbols outside of the basic 7-bit ASCII character set. For example, art for "Björk" won't be found, but if you change that string to "Bjork" then it's found OK; "Café" doesn't work but "Cafe" does, and so on.

One issue I've noticed is that cover art fails to be retrieved if the artist, album, or song title strings in the file's metadata contain any symbols outside of the basic 7-bit ASCII character set. For example, art for "Björk" won't be found, but if you change that string to "Bjork" then it's found OK; "Café" doesn't work but "Cafe" does, and so on.
Interesting. That's must be a regression. We complained about that at one point (Michael Bublé I think was the example) and it got fixed sometime around this past December. I hadn't noticed it stopped working again.

Interesting. That's must be a regression. We complained about that at one point (Michael Bublé I think was the example) and it got fixed sometime around this past December. I hadn't noticed it stopped working again.
Indeed; it's not working as of 6.2 (2.4.250).

Some of the cases I'm seeing where strings and cover art are not being rendered:
- "La Flûte de Pan" (track 9 on Art Of Noise's album "The Seduction Of Claude Debussy")
- all tracks on the album "Four-Calendar Café" by Cocteau Twins
- all tracks on the album "Dvořák - Symphony No. 9 _New World_, Serenade For Strings" by London Symphony Orchestra

If the accented character appears in the artist, album, or song name, the track(s) won't show up under those categories at all. However, you can still play those tracks by finding them under Folder.

For those who are interested, I did some experiments and think I cracked this nut HERE. Your FLAC tags (i.e., meta-data) CAN INDEED include special characters and punctuation. What you have to cleanse is all of the file and folder names! Then everything will show up!

For those who are interested, I did some experiments and think I cracked this nut HERE. Your FLAC tags (i.e., meta-data) CAN INDEED include special characters and punctuation. What you have to cleanse is all of the file and folder names! Then everything will show up!
Thanks Tomas! I just confirmed this. Accented characters can appear in the tags, just not in folder or file names.