Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on video in Tesla stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just in one of our local Tesla stores yesterday, and noticed that their streaming video now includes scenes of a Model X, including a quick shot of the back seats with the hatch open. I'm not sure if the shots are of the old version or new, since it was pretty quick. There was also a quick shot of an X next to a model S.

I'm pretty sure this is fairly new, as we go by various stores on a monthly basis. Mainly I was happy to see any mention of a Model X in the Tesla stores, as previously there was absolutely nothing in the stores referring to the X. They are also now stocking Model X shirts and hats.

Ron
SigX #1015

Glad to see there's progress.

It was said on one of the recent Tesla calls that the Model X configuration would come this month. So if they aren't yet updating the web site, may be that will arrive in the form of Tesla calling the initial Model X reservation holders so that vehicle customization can be done.

There is an assumption that "Model X configuration in July" means "Design Studio Open". My assumption is that some Founders have already configured this month, making it true that Model X configuration would begin in July. Because it has.

just my two cents.

There is an assumption that "Model X configuration in July" means "Design Studio Open". My assumption is that some Founders have already configured this month, making it true that Model X configuration would begin in July. Because it has.

just my two cents.

Exactly configuration can be done without design studio. They can just ask you over the phone. eg.
Do you want the orange melamine interior? Do you want the chrome spinning rims? and you simply reply yes.

just my two cents.

While this is true, my issue with this is that the comment was made to the general public, whom all don't have knowledge of the founders group etc. Additionally, if that were the intent, then there should have been a qualifier like "we expect founders to begin configuring..."

It all leads me to believe he really thought we'd be at the point where the general public would have been starting the config process (even if it's just over the phone), but in the end, that timeline was too optimistic.

While this is true, my issue with this is that the comment was made to the general public, whom all don't have knowledge of the founders group etc. Additionally, if that were the intent, then there should have been a qualifier like "we expect founders to begin configuring..."

It all leads me to believe he really thought we'd be at the point where the general public would have been starting the config process (even if it's just over the phone), but in the end, that timeline was too optimistic.

I am just happy to hear that someone is configuring...progress....slow....but progress:wink:

The comment was made during the shareholders meeting and my guess is that most founders are shareholders... I have always had the assumption that the first cars will go to the Founders edition in late September and Tesla will need the orders for those cars 2 months before delivery. Signatures in USA will start to get deliveries in October and I hope other markets will start to get Signature deliveries in December. I have not seen any more delays in the comments from Tesla Motors or Elon Musk since after the delay in 2014.

I do hope that I can order my Model X as early as possible, preferably this month, even if I have to wait 6 months for the delivery.

I think you're being unfair. This was at the Shareholder's meeting and the context was that the first Model X would be configured in July. My reaction was he meant to let us know how close production was. (Most of the Founders were probably sitting right in front of him.)

It never crossed my mind during the meeting that he was implying the design studio would be open. THIS forum got everyone revved up about that interpretation of his words & now people are going to be disappointed.

(And to be clear, I expect I'll be configuring in a conversation, not using an online tool.)

If he'd meant the design studio would be open, he would have said that.

The comment was made during the shareholders meeting and my guess is that most founders are shareholders...

Fair enough, didn't realize it was at a shareholder's meeting (thought it was on an earnings call). In any case, I still get the feeling they're running a bit behind what they were expecting.

(And to be clear, I expect I'll be configuring in a conversation, not using an online tool.)

If he'd meant the design studio would be open, he would have said that.

I didn't say that. I even said above "even if it's just over the phone" -- which is about what I'd expect for earlier configs. Unless you meant other folks expecting the studio.

I have always had the assumption that the first cars will go to the Founders edition in late September and Tesla will need the orders for those cars 2 months before delivery.

Why 2 months? There is no backlog of manufacturing the X. There is a big line of X orders, but they can start building X's the day they open the design studio. Supposedly the new line at the factory can do both X and S on it at once. So really they can start building them the moment someone finalizes their order. The order of X vin numbers does not correlate exactly to the order they roll off the line.

I said before the first X's off the line will be inventory vehicles. Probably a weeks worth of production, 500 or so to spread out to stores and for test drives. Then the big "unveil" and the founders series will start rolling off the line. Those first 500 inventory cars will probably also be considered a full blown production test to iron out any remaining issues from the manufacturing process.

Edit: This makes me wonder if getting an inventory X will be as easy as it is getting a inventory S. Jump to the front of the line and get your X months before people who pre-ordered in 2013-14?

Why 2 months? There is no backlog of manufacturing the X. There is a big line of X orders, but they can start building X's the day they open the design studio. Supposedly the new line at the factory can do both X and S on it at once. So really they can start building them the moment someone finalizes their order. The order of X vin numbers does not correlate exactly to the order they roll off the line.

The first production cars for the Founders Edition will take much longer time to build than the time it takes for Model S to be build today. Add to this a much more detailed testing and inspection for the first cars. Many Founders Edition might be built more than one time because of problems detected in the tests and inspections.