Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aussie 60 Minutes shows off possible new tesla rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it bother anyone else that they might still be doing clay modeling of the Model X? Or maybe that guys was messing with an old model just for effect?

Maybe the partially finished model that is 2nd from the right is an early Model 3?

I am in the US and trying to load the video on that page but it won't load. In March 2014, 60 Minutes in the US ran a piece on Musk. I'm wondering if the piece you guys are talking about is new or is it the 2014 piece. See. 60 Minutes Video - So many children dream of fast cars and rocket ships, but few actually grow up to build them -- and change the world in the process - CBS.com
This one is entirely different. Try to reload it. I am not in the US but it loaded easily enough for me.

Finally got it to load and watched it. (Yes it is a new piece, not recycled from the 2014 piece shown in the US). I didn't learn anything new (except that two Australian guys are involved in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio building clay models of new car designs, wow do they have a great job!) but it was still a lot of fun to watch. Much of the piece was older stock footage, the interview was of course recently done.
The clay model shown partially exposed in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio is a Model X. The piece was likely filmed months ago so the X design was still being finalized.

Last edited:
In March 2014, 60 Minutes in the US ran a piece on Musk. I'm wondering if the piece you guys are talking about is new or is it the 2014 piece.

No this is very recent. In the video when talking about the recent SpaceX failure it said last month. Therefore this video was made this month.

I am in the US and trying to load the video on that page but it won't load.
I think the video doesn't work from the USA. When I tried to simulate a USA connection it didn't work. To watch it, you can download the browser add-on ZenMate and change location to Germany. I use ZenMate for Netflix. It works great.
ZenMate for Google Chrome
ZenMate for Firefox

It is absolutely breathtaking what the good folks at Tesla and SpaceX have accomplished in just a decade. My appreciation goes out to the scientists and engineers who make these awesome geeky things possible, and to the production, customer service and back office employees who keep it running and thrill customers every day.

Very happy to support this with my purchasing power.

Finally got it to load and watched it. I didn't learn anything new (except that two Australian guys are involved in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio building clay models of new car designs, wow do they have a great job!) but it was still a lot of fun to watch. Much of the piece was older stock footage, the interview was of course recently done.
The clay model shown partially exposed in the Tesla Hawthorne Design Studio is a Model X. The piece was likely filmed months ago so the X design was still being finalized.

Agree with you, not much new to learn in that footage. TMCers are usually ahead of TV shows regarding their Tesla information level.

Piece like that in a show like 60 Minutes is unlikely to break news, but may increase public awareness of the company and its product.

The relevance of the story of two Australian guys that used to work for local car manufacturers and now work for Tesla might be difficult to understand without the local context. There is an endless one way jobs outflow from Australia to offshore, hence 2 guys managing to stay in their line of work despite car industry local disappearance is a "feel good" and "there is hope" story.

New nosecone in Australian 60 minutes segment?

It looks like there might be a new nosecone for model S visible in the background of the 60 minutes interview? An experiment or a forthcoming style refresh?
Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 8.02.53 PM.png

Agree with you, not much new to learn in that footage. TMCers are usually ahead of TV shows regarding their Tesla information level.

Piece like that in a show like 60 Minutes is unlikely to break news, but may increase public awareness of the company and its product.

The relevance of the story of two Australian guys that used to work for local car manufacturers and now work for Tesla might be difficult to understand without the local context. There is an endless one way jobs outflow from Australia to offshore, hence 2 guys managing to stay in their line of work despite car industry local disappearance is a "feel good" and "there is hope" story.

The clay Model of the (Model 3?) is something new.

Also, Elon reminded people that the Model S, an electric vehicle, is regarded by the most difficult critics in the world as the best car. Not really new information for those who already know it, but I think a lot of viewers will remember this part. It's possible the question, and Elon's response made a few people question why they own a gasoline vehicle?

Q: "This county is a nation of Petrolheads. They love their big trucks, their big cars, their throbbing V8s. They love their gasoline. I don't see them getting rid of oil any time soon. Why would an electric car work in that market?"

A: "Well, I think Australians also appreciate advanced technology, great engineering, and this car is regarded by the most difficult critics in the world as the best car. "

Maybe Elon can encourage Australia, "cough" Abbott to get with the reality?
:rolleyes:

Australian Prime Minister Says Repealing The Carbon Tax Was Best Thing He Did For Women This Year | ThinkProgress

Last edited:
Last edited: