Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands on steering wheel...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
on the voice command section, what all can you do and say?

only thing ive gotten to successfully accomplish is..

1. "navigate to xxxx"
2. "call xxxx"

can you have the MS google something like "google nearest best buy phone number"...i tried this and didnt recognize what i was saying

thanks in advance!

1. "navigate to xxxx"
2. "call xxxx"

can you have the MS google something like "google nearest best buy phone number"...i tried this and didnt recognize what i was saying

thanks in advance!

That's close to how many commands there are. If you look in the User Manual, it will tell you what the available commands are. If I remember correctly, there weren't many. I wish it could do things like "open roof" or "close roof" or "turn on AC" or "Set temperature to 73 degrees". But too bad none those work with the in-car voice command.

That's close to how many commands there are. If you look in the User Manual, it will tell you what the available commands are. If I remember correctly, there weren't many. I wish it could do things like "open roof" or "close roof" or "turn on AC" or "Set temperature to 73 degrees". But too bad none those work with the in-car voice command.
@jlucero: if your accent isn't quite right it struggles to match your voice. As. British owner (so with no accent) I really have to affect a Californian drawl to get accurate rendering.

For mobile phone calls, I have my phone powered and use the Hey Siri command to go via Apple's own processing. That is far more reliable.

The Remote S app which I also run is shortly due to get voice recognition for a number of commands, such as roof control. As it uses Apple's speech recognition (Allen: please confirm!) it will be much more accurate and also give you the widest range of controlled functions.

1. "navigate to xxxx"
2. "call xxxx"

thanks in advance!

As others have noted, the only voice commands are basically, "call", "navigate" and the radio ones.
However, when you navigate somewhere, you typically get an option to either navigate or phone the business. So in your example, you would ask the car to navigate to best buy and the press the "call" option rather than "navigate".

The Remote S app which I also run is shortly due to get voice recognition for a number of commands, such as roof control. As it uses Apple's speech recognition (Allen: please confirm!) it will be much more accurate and also give you the widest range of controlled functions.
It was one of the things that I was working on before I had my surgery. After I recover from my surgery, I plan on finishing it.

@jlucero: if your accent isn't quite right it struggles to match your voice. As. British owner (so with no accent) I really have to affect a Californian drawl to get accurate rendering.

For mobile phone calls, I have my phone powered and use the Hey Siri command to go via Apple's own processing. That is far more reliable.

I, California born, have near-total success with the limited menu of voice options. Oddly, though, asking for 'nearest supercharger' never seems to work but 'nearest Tesla' usually does. My spouse, possessed of a totally neutral accent (Brazilian Portuguese, that is) generally has good results too. The problem for us is the very few options available and even audio will only search within the source manually chose IME. I'm hoping we'll soon move to at least match our 2011 vintage ICE BMW.

1. "navigate to xxxx"
2. "call xxxx"

thanks in advance!

You can say "Where is Best Buy". From the list provided you can then select (touch the A, B, C designator instead of the name). It will then let you call the Best Buy...

This seems like the latest post on the topic and has some good info so here's my $0.02 ... the voice commands are basically 10+ years out of date. Basic features are missing and nothing ever seems to be added. It needs a connection (which is a pretty flaky thing to rely on so far) when it should have some basic voice recognition (with learning if needed) built in.

But when it does work, it works fine for me.

Meanwhile, a perfectly functional UI is about to be shelved with a "clean" one coming, that nobody was asking for... so maybe if we actually ask for better voice commands, they'll at least consider them. I suggest using the voice command for that, if I could remember it (I remember "bug report" which I guess is about the same ;)

I'm also disappointed that I have to close the roof to use the mic for pretty much anything, just doesn't seem right to me in this class of car. Maybe I'm asking for too much but I'd figure there were non-turbulent areas in the car for the mic or an additional mic.

@lex +1 on everything you say. Good voice commands, equivalent to a 2010 Mercedes, would make this car a lot safer -- maneuvering around the 17 in China screen while driving at 75 miles an hour is not particularly safe, and there is a good amount of stuff you can't do from the steering wheel controls (which would be another way to solve the deficient voice command problem).

Lex, hey, at least you have adaptive cruise control (acc) available in Lexus's ten years ago ( my p85 vin 36xxx doesn't), and they won't give us the hooks to use mobileye's ao-acc, which is safe enough for BMW to use it.

sorry brooklynrab finally making my way back here.
@lex +1 on everything you say. Good voice commands, equivalent to a 2010 Mercedes, would make this car a lot safer -- maneuvering around the 17 in China screen while driving at 75 miles an hour is not particularly safe, and there is a good amount of stuff you can't do from the steering wheel controls (which would be another way to solve the deficient voice command problem).
Totally agree. There should be lots more commands and synonyms and there should be a little mic icon on any input box to allow speech to text.