Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will ship first: Model X or iPhone 6S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
In the spirit of an earlier thread on whether the Apple Watch would beat Model X to market, I thought it would be fun to predict whether iPhone 6S or Model X would ship first.

I'm guessing that Apple will announce the iPhone 6S on Tuesday, September 8 2015, and have an on-sale date of Friday, September 18.

Summer ends on September 21, and Elon previously stated that Model X would ship before the end of Summer. The latest Tesla blog post dated July 17 2015 says that Model X is on track for delivery in 2 months, or approximately September 17 2015.

It's going to be a close contest between these highly anticipated products.

Who will reach the finish line first? Elon Musk, the genius entrepreneur with a history of being late to the party? Or will it be Tim Cook, the supply chain and profit master who has yet to convince the Mac faithful that he can continue to dazzle as Steve did.

The safe bet is Tim Cook. Which is why I'm betting that Elon's Model X will beat the iPhone 6S to market. Not that it matters, as these products have almost no relation.

I'd bet 5 smiley faces that the Model X will be announced/shown at least two weeks before or the week after the iPhone ships. Apple seems to gobble up all the press coverage around that time and Elon is a bit of a press hound. iPhone sales will dominate tech news until after it launches, plus the first weekend. After that, it's fair game. Remember the time that Google or Samsung got such great press coverage announcing that thing right before the Apple announcement? Yea, me neither.

Oh, and to prove my bet is good, you can hold these in escrow. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Yeah, but we're talking DELIVERIES... not just show and tell.

Also, I don't think new iPhone releases garner that much press anymore.

There may be some confusion where the Model X is concerned, because Elon had made statements to the effect of "no Model X reveal until first deliveries" (presumably founder's series).

Last year's iPhone release did get an enormous amount of press, mostly because iPhone 6 and 6+ were Apple's first shift towards large displays in phones. This year is an "S" cycle release, so there may be less hoopla because the phone should look more or less the same as last year's phone. Most of the changes will likely be on the internal hardware.

In the spirit of an earlier thread on whether the Apple Watch would beat Model X to market, I thought it would be fun to predict whether iPhone 6S or Model X would ship first.

I'm guessing that Apple will announce the iPhone 6S on Tuesday, September 8 2015, and have an on-sale date of Friday, September 18.

Summer ends on September 21, and Elon previously stated that Model X would ship before the end of Summer. The latest Tesla blog post dated July 17 2015 says that Model X is on track for delivery in 2 months, or approximately September 17 2015.

It's going to be a close contest between these highly anticipated products.

Who will reach the finish line first? Elon Musk, the genius entrepreneur with a history of being late to the party? Or will it be Tim Cook, the supply chain and profit master who has yet to convince the Mac faithful that he can continue to dazzle as Steve did.

The safe bet is Tim Cook. Which is why I'm betting that Elon's Model X will beat the iPhone 6S to market. Not that it matters, as these products have almost no relation.
Model X first deliveries will beat iPhone 6S deliveries. Model X Design Studio will beat iPhone 6S online pre-orders. That means Model X will actually appear, at least the first delivery prior to, say, September 18, which I agree will probably be the first day of pre-orders. I equate Apple pre-orders to Design Studio because that is the time for setting order details.

Did Apple ever officially mention the 6s?

No, but its existence is almost a certainty at this point because of supply chain leaks. Chinese language specifications from the contract manufacturer Foxconn, pictures of body shells (modified iPhone 6 design), and pictures of the system board have all appeared on the rumor sites.

I don't know for sure if it will actually be called the iPhone 6S, but that would fit with Apple's pattern of prior releases.

Model X first deliveries will beat iPhone 6S deliveries. Model X Design Studio will beat iPhone 6S online pre-orders. That means Model X will actually appear, at least the first delivery prior to, say, September 18, which I agree will probably be the first day of pre-orders. I equate Apple pre-orders to Design Studio because that is the time for setting order details.

Nope. By they time Apple it taking pre orders, iPhones by the millions (all essentially identical except for case color and memory size) are already built and sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be shipped. Tesla still has to manufacture each individual car to custom specs for each owner.

I think the only truly objective metric on which to measure this little race is when the first actual, real, paying, non-tesla/apple employee, end-user gets their car/device in their hands. Not orders, not pre-orders, not design studio, etc. Actual delivered product. For that, Apple will win.

Nope. By they time Apple it taking pre orders, iPhones by the millions (all essentially identical except for case color and memory size) are already built and sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be shipped. Tesla still has to manufacture each individual car to custom specs for each owner.

I think the only truly objective metric on which to measure this little race is when the first actual, real, paying, non-tesla/apple employee, end-user gets their car/device in their hands. Not orders, not pre-orders, not design studio, etc. Actual delivered product. For that, Apple will win.

Non-Founders car.

I agree: iPhone 6S will deliver first.

Founders, even Elon, pay full price. Just an fyi.

Unless your name is Bjørn Nyland and just won the referral program. ;)

Attachments

• bjornnylandtwitter.png
    bjornnylandtwitter.png
    118 KB · Views: 281