Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs McLaren 650S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't look like the P85D "met it's match from a stop" to me.

The P85D is clearly ahead for the whole constant torque period (0-30 mph) - the McLaren probably passes it right around 60 mph from the look of their graphs; it seems to me like the speeds match at the top of second gear and third is the overtake.

It's a wide angle camera, Tesla was barely ahead for about 2 seconds on the first race, Tesla got beat, the McLaren does 0-60 MPH in 2.8 seconds.... we'll see what happens with Ludicrous mode...

Doesn't look like the P85D "met it's match from a stop" to me.

The P85D is clearly ahead for the whole constant torque period (0-30 mph) - the McLaren probably passes it right around 60 mph from the look of their graphs; it seems to me like the speeds match at the top of second gear and third is the overtake.

Cool, let me just pull an extra $125,000 out of my ars (not to mention the additional costs for fuel for a 15MPG climate killer plus the headache of dealing with a super(?) car) to convince people -- that I don't care about -- how much money I can waste.

Or... I could just be content with the quickest 7-seater in the world.

Yea, I'll stay with Tesla.

The P85D met it's match from a stop....

Tesla P85D Insane Mode vs McLaren 650S Spider

have you driven the 650S? the 650S is simply an amazing performer, nothing competes with it under $1M right now.....

Agreed; fabulous car and good value for money when compared with equivalents from Lambo, Ferrari, et al.

I think esp. in the 2nd race that the P85D pulls hard enough and just long enough to make the McLaren driver think WTF is happening! So he (or she) will be feeling a sense of relief rather than the usual smug superiority...:cool:

Actually no but I drive a 12C whenever I want :smile: Yes the 650S is great, so is the P1 but the Model S is better. I can carry 4 people, go up driveways, carry stuff, park it anywhere and still be quicker than most of my street cars. If I want to go fast, I go to the track and take a track vehicle.

have you driven the 650S? the 650S is simply an amazing performer, nothing competes with it under $1M right now.....

We should compare the curb weights of those two cars, and then watch the video again. I think the Tesla does a pretty good job under the circumstances.

I don't know why there are any more "insane mode" videos anyway. Perhaps some cars simply want to beat a Tesla, or try, before the next version is on the streets. Ludicrous mode will mean all these videos will have to be redone.

We should compare the curb weights of those two cars, and then watch the video again. I think the Tesla does a pretty good job under the circumstances.
4,830 lbs
2015 Tesla Model S P85D, Curb weight

3,148 to 3,236 lbs
2015 McLaren 650S, Curb weight

The Model S weighs at least 1,500 lbs more than the McLaren! And it has a single gear. The cars are simply not comparable. It is amazing that the Model S comes close to the performance of the McLaren.
This is not even an apples-to-oranges comparison. It's a watermelon-to-kumquat comparison.

Two completely different types of cars, but so much fun to watch!! Guys, ease up on defending the Tesla. We know it's a sexy grocery getter that can seat 7 so it's not going to beat every purpose built 2-seater exotic even in a straight line. I am looking forward to more videos after Ludicrous mode is out ;)