Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 new superchargers in 24 days so far in July

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers

That's a pace of almost 0.92 new supercharging locations per day in July. Pretty good, eh? If they can keep up this pace for a couple years, Model 3 rollout should be fairly smooth.

Nothing against outside North America but from that 22, only 5 are from US...

:/

SO behind Tesla's schedule...

I'm in finance and I sadly feel that, because that their cashflows are burning out, they are slowing the expansion of SC in US... hope it'll will catch up at some point...

Very important key places have to be build... people are waiting for these new places not only for weeks but for several months now...

Thank God, the Canada's Windsor-Québec corridor is now built (well there is still Québec SC missing) but that corridor was due (and promised many times!) 1 year and a half later than it was supposed...

When it comes to North America could it be that Tesla is just having problems finding available locations along the right traffic corridors?

They are going full blast here in Europe, but how long until they have plucked all the "low hanging" locations fruit.?

I only really count the ones on my continent as being pertinent.
There are 7 in July so far reachable by my car.

But how many, including those already built, are reachable by your car?

If I owned a Model S, I would have to drive 280 km (173 miles) and then catch a ferry that takes 9 hours to get to my nearest SC. To get to the next SC after that is another 878 km (545 miles).

If I owned a Model S, I would have to drive 280 km (173 miles) and then catch a ferry that takes 9 hours to get to my nearest SC. To get to the next SC after that is another 878 km (545 miles).

Yes, presently that number is 205 which I am *very* happy about!
But of the 22 in 24 days, that is an overstatement.

Well, to be fair, you live in Tasmania which is "remote" by an reasonable standard. You can't expect Tesla to build out the SC network in just two years to towns separated from major population centers by hundreds of miles of ocean.

Well, to be fair, you live in Tasmania which is "remote" by an reasonable standard. You can't expect Tesla to build out the SC network in just two years to towns separated from major population centers by hundreds of miles of ocean.

That's true, I wouldn't expect any in Tasmania for some time, but even Melbourne to Sydney is a pretty major route (two cities of 4-5 million people each, at a distance a bit longer than SF to LA).

I find it a bit odd to complain that there are only 7 new superchargers in the USA in the last month when that is more than double the number which are on my continent. I know it is relative to population, but Australia is quite under-served in comparison to (e.g.) the UK, who have 26 SCs for their 60 million (2 1/2 times Australia's population in a much smaller area).

But there is always someone worse off, no doubt there are people from New Zealand, South Korea, Brazil or South Africa rolling their eyes about now ...

Deployment in Japan appears to be lagging. 20 sites on the 2015 map, but at the current pace only 8 will be open.

No new site construction in Canada for seven months. The strategy seems to be to wait until there's snow and bitter cold before attempting to break ground. This way, the construction crew needs to burn hundreds of propane canisters, so Tesla's throwing the fossil- fuel industry a bone.

That's true, I wouldn't expect any in Tasmania for some time, but even Melbourne to Sydney is a pretty major route (two cities of 4-5 million people each, at a distance a bit longer than SF to LA).
See Supercharger | Tesla Motors which shows that route will be done by the end of this year. Sure that dare could be missed but Tesla will obviously address it soon. Tesla just started selling in Australia. Give them time.
Your concern reminds me of when Tesla started selling in England last year and there were immediately complaints that there were no Superchargers. A year later and England is well covered. Australia is obviously a much bigger country with less than half the population so it is going to take more time.

Deployment in Japan appears to be lagging. 20 sites on the 2015 map, but at the current pace only 8 will be open.

No new site construction in Canada for seven months. The strategy seems to be to wait until there's snow and bitter cold before attempting to break ground. This way, the construction crew needs to burn hundreds of propane canisters, so Tesla's throwing the fossil- fuel industry a bone.

Japan is a forgotten country. They built one at the delivery in last Sep, then added 3 more in Tokyo area which doesn't really make sense, and added three in Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe. Then they removed Kyoto and dead silence since then. We still can't drive from Tokyo to Kyoto as it's distance 480km or 300 miles. No Superchargers in between.
SCs in Tokyo is for people in Tokyo, and not for travel. Many people started call Tesla a liar as they don't keep promises at all.

I'm very disappointed re SC rollout. Never succeed in Japan without Superchargers, as CHAdeMOs having compatibility issues and power limitation, in addition to congestion on highways.

All of the ones slated to be near me have been pushed back already by a year. I finaly gave in and got the car anyway because they show they should all be built by the end of this year. I fear now that this will not happen. I guess road trips will just have to continue to wait. :crying:

To get from California to Texas is still not too easy using a Tesla. I planned out a trip and would have had to travel about 650 extra miles to get from Northern California to Austin TX, Knoxville Tn and back. This included having to stop in a couple of destination chargers because of a lack of superchargers. The Albuquerque supercharger has been sitting virtually complete since June 27 and the Amarillo supercharger is sitting in the permit stage. I was looking forward to the trip as a challenge but it got cancelled 2 days before the start because of a family illness and my wife did not want to be gone that long. Will be nice when they complete the 40 70 and I10 superchargers for those of us that want to travel east/west.

In 2 month they have installed 69 superchargers while average # of stalls per location is increasing.
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 22.10.40.png

Nothing against outside North America but from that 22, only 5 are from US...

:/

SO behind Tesla's schedule...

I'm in finance and I sadly feel that, because that their cashflows are burning out, they are slowing the expansion of SC in US... hope it'll will catch up at some point...

Very important key places have to be build... people are waiting for these new places not only for weeks but for several months now...

Thank God, the Canada's Windsor-Québec corridor is now built (well there is still Québec SC missing) but that corridor was due (and promised many times!) 1 year and a half later than it was supposed...

Actual end of Month Report per Supercharge.info:
** 27 Total in July.
** 9 of those in US in July.

Might want to wait until the end of the month before you do your "final" count and pass (preliminary) judgement.

Regardless of your professional career, as far as cash flow, perhaps you might be jumping that gun too.
Unless you have access to privileged information, your statement is fraught with errors.

When I bought my car, there were a total of eight Superchargers...
...In the entire WORLD.
We are watching history being made, as Superchargers stations continue to be built.
I went ahead and bought the car, because I believe.

Love the MS, and I use the Superchargers as they continue coming on-line.

Actual end of Month Report per Supercharge.info:
** 27 Total in July.
** 9 of those in US in July.

Actually, I count 28 total in July. That's nearly one a day, and in fact is more than one per weekday (23 weekdays in July).

Three days into August and 3 superchargers have already gone live!

Seems to be a lot of impatient people in this thread, but I can tell you that planning each site must certainly require a mountain of legwork including scouting out potential sites, building business partnerships, legal reviews, crossing language barriers, dealing with unique permitting regimes, local utility coordination and inspections. The rollout is happening at an astonishing rate given all of that.

Edit: Make that 8 superchargers in first 4 days of August!

Last edited: