Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Gadgets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nik

Got there eventually :-)
Jan 18, 2011
Cambridge, UK
I came across this the other day http://www.vehix.com/articles/car-technology/7-cool-tech-features-for-your-next-car

It's a list of in-car gadgets, the sort of stuff that is becoming available on luxury and mid range ICE cars. Which would people think ought to be standard on something like the Model S, and which are the ones worth paying extra for?

The list is:
1) 360 degree camera
2) cross-traffic warning, for reversing into traffic flow
3) built-in fridge
4) Night Vision system
5) proximity keys
6) automated off-road control
7) satellite services (live traffic, streamed video, etc)
8) Parallel parking assist
9) Rain-sensing wipers
10) Lane departure warning

Vehix rated the first 7 as worth the money, and the last three as not.

Personally, I love the auto-wipers on my 2001 Peugeot, and I can't believe they're not standard issue on new high-spec cars. other than that, I think the night-vision is the only feature I'd pay extra for.

Any other non-EV-specific tech that the 'S' ought to have?

High voltgage to entire car, wheels, trim, etc. when car is bumped. Just the voltage, not the current. And I like the camera recording all bump times in 360 degrees, and maybe a phone call and a loudspeaker so you can talk to the person via the car. "Your photo has been taken. Please do not touch the car" Along with the 95,000 volts, might get their attention.

Oh, all right. Only kidding.

The list is:
1) 360 degree camera
3) built-in fridge
4) Night Vision system
5) proximity keys
9) Rain-sensing wipers

My thoughts on these in particular are:

1) The 360 camera is interesting, but I'll pass for now.
2) I'd rather have a back-up camera than a cross-traffic warning.
3) No need for a built-in fridge. This isn't a chauffeur-driven car.
4) Night vision system would be pretty awesome.
5) Proximity keys, definitely. That was on my previous car and I miss it quite a bit.
6) I'm not sure what automated off-road control is. I live in Los Angeles; I don't go off-road. I'll pass.
7) Definitely need wireless service. But that's already in the works for the S.
8) Eh, don't really care about parallel parking.
9) No need for rain-sensing wipers where I live, so I'll pass on that too.
10) Lane departure warning. My last car had it. It was funny at first, only moderately annoying over the long haul, but never useful to me.

Some forum users seemed highly adamant about adaptive cruise control. We have at least a few threads around on Model S feature wish-lists.

I recently replaced my gasser, and the new one has adaptive cruise control. Definitely love it.

Also a more subtle but incredibly useful feature of the Infiniti cruise control is that it shows you the setpoint in kph or mph. So you don't have to guess and fiddle up and down trying to set it right, you just nudge until you get the number you want. That's just as useful as the adaptive feature.

Also a more subtle but incredibly useful feature of the Infiniti cruise control is that it shows you the setpoint in kph or mph. So you don't have to guess and fiddle up and down trying to set it right, you just nudge until you get the number you want. That's just as useful as the adaptive feature.

It IS a great feature. +1!

So I'm struggling w/ this whole remote HVAC thing. It makes sense in an ICE vehicle where you have to wait for the engine to warm up before you get heat. But in my Roadster I have heat before I've left my garage so I don't see the value. In hot climates AC can take a bit to cool the whole car (especially a larger vehicle like the Model S) but as someone who grew up in Oklahoma it seems like a lot of complication for very little benefit.

So I'm struggling w/ this whole remote HVAC thing. It makes sense in an ICE vehicle where you have to wait for the engine to warm up before you get heat. But in my Roadster I have heat before I've left my garage so I don't see the value. In hot climates AC can take a bit to cool the whole car (especially a larger vehicle like the Model S) but as someone who grew up in Oklahoma it seems like a lot of complication for very little benefit.

That is of course because you are on the wrong side of the equation. When you spend the first 15 minutes of your supposed drive trying desperately to get through the Panzer-Ice(TM) just to be able to see out through the front window, and THEN starting on your side windows you will understand why preheated car makes so much sense :)
That is a necessity in my eyes.

Cobos

There's very few items on that list I'd pay for. Maybe the backup camera, though I care less about that in a sedan than an SUV. Maybe the night vision thing as I've never seen it in use. Beyond that, meh, none really jump out at me. The cruise control I've used in my Mazda RX8 and Acura RDX both seem more than fine.

That said, I can see why folks like Cobos might like other features such as the preheated car thing. I'd just rather they weren't standard items I had to pay for with mine.

Personal thoughts...

Would want standard:
5) proximity keys
1) 360 degree camera (relative cheap considering use of existing LCD displays, and very useful, IMHO)
adaptive cruise control ("drafting mode")

Options:
4) Night Vision system

Perhaps:
9) Rain-sensing wipers

Nevermind:
3) built-in fridge

And also, what about V2G, and general power output? How about 120V and 240V outlets in the vehicle so you can power things when 'car camping'?
It has a lot of power stored, and inverter onboard, so why not take advantage of that?

Some other old ideas from Cobos:

*Cornering headlights (headllights follow curves)
*Headlight washers
*Lots of small extra lights, reading lights for backseat, inside compartments etc. LED lights only obviously
*Folding and auto-dimming outside mirrors with memory feature
*Heated rear view and front windows
*Grocery bag hooks and 12V outlets in the trunk
*User adjustable suspension settings
*Outside temperature measurement
*Tire pressure monitor
*Blind spot monitor

Last edited:
...The cruise control I've used in my Mazda RX8 and Acura RDX both seem more than fine.
Yeah ACC and keyless are kinda like electric driving. You just can't know how great it is unless you live with it for a while. Then you never want to carry keys to put into doors to open them and insert steering start cars. ACC is simply what the promise of Cruise Control always has been. Driving without fatigue.