Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plates no holes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There. good old bumper sticker
I
dcpower-face-10.jpg
dcpower-sideway.jpg
dcpower-top.jpg

it does not look so bad and at least I have a way out.
no holes, no ugly frame, no metal to rattle or blocked any air.:cool::biggrin:

Looks nice but isn't legal. I asked about this before when I lived in Texas. It must be the physical plate and it must be on the front bumper (even though that's not written anywhere). That's why putting it in your windshield isn't allowed.

Looks nice but isn't legal. I asked about this before when I lived in Texas. It must be the physical plate and it must be on the front bumper (even though that's not written anywhere). That's why putting it in your windshield isn't allowed.

Texas requires 2 license plate displayed one in front the other in the back. placement and mounting is not defined. the TXDPS site faq say so.
Also not defined is the material the plate is made from. there is an agreement with the US and Canada that the size should be 6x12.
Nothing illegal with my plates I can find as it fulfill the requirements.

You're likely in violation of the "Deceptively Similar License Plate" section of the transportation code. License plates must be manufactured by TX DOT.

Texas Section 504.946. Deceptively Similar License Plate - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

Well it does say:
"For the purposes of this section, a license plate is deceptively similar to a license plate issued by the department if it is not prescribed by the department but a reasonable person would presume that it was prescribed by the department".

No reasonable person would think that that is a DOT license plate.

Well it does say:
"For the purposes of this section, a license plate is deceptively similar to a license plate issued by the department if it is not prescribed by the department but a reasonable person would presume that it was prescribed by the department".

No reasonable person would think that that is a DOT license plate.

Heh.

Since it looks fake, I wonder if this would wind up getting you pulled over more often than having no plate. The penalties are otherwise the same.

Heh.

Since it looks fake, I wonder if this would wind up getting you pulled over more often than having no plate. The penalties are otherwise the same.

I heard the last time the Texas legislature took up the license plate issue they failed to establish a penalty of any kind. My understanding is that not having a plate just gives them an excuse to pull you over and see if there is anything else you might be doing that might be illegal. Inhaling for example.

I heard the last time the Texas legislature took up the license plate issue they failed to establish a penalty of any kind. My understanding is that not having a plate just gives them an excuse to pull you over and see if there is anything else you might be doing that might be illegal. Inhaling for example.

Unfortunately they fixed the loophole in 2013. It's a max of $200+$10.

I'm sure there are parts of the state that actively enforce the front plate requirement, but I haven't traveled there.

Screw the plate. No front plates here marring the beautiful Model S. It's a shame to do that to this beauty. If you get pulled over for a fix it ticket big deal. Not very likely especially in early days of Model S, but lets say you do, add some temporary adhesive or a magnetic mount, get it checked off, then take it back off. you're 10$ out.

There are laws, and then there are ​laws.

Screw the plate. No front plates here marring the beautiful Model S. It's a shame to do that to this beauty. If you get pulled over for a fix it ticket big deal. Not very likely especially in early days of Model S, but lets say you do, add some temporary adhesive or a magnetic mount, get it checked off, then take it back off. you're 10$ out.

There are laws, and then there are ​laws.
There is no deception here or intention to deceive, the plate numers are fully legal and properly registered to that specific car, it does not flip and is permanently displayed as required. one may debate all the potential ilegallities and i will be surprized if a judge will call it ilegal. perhaps ill be stopped and i may get a picky cop and a ticket, that is the price ill pay not to put a whole on my machine.

There is no deception here or intention to deceive, the plate numers are fully legal and properly registered to that specific car, it does not flip and is permanently displayed as required. one may debate all the potential ilegallities and i will be surprized if a judge will call it ilegal. perhaps ill be stopped and i may get a picky cop and a ticket, that is the price ill pay not to put a whole on my machine.

Again - I wouldn't worry about it. You've gone well above and beyond in the spirit of the Law, and if a d-bag cop takes issue with your innovative solution, screw it it's a small fine anyways.

My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapour of invention...
Or I could copy your idea with a high quality scan/print of my local plate on a bumper sticker, keeping the real front plate in the frunk in case of emergency. It could even go over the vinyl wrap or bra to prevent paint damage.
Bwahaha!

Texas requires 2 license plate displayed one in front the other in the back. placement and mounting is not defined. the TXDPS site faq say so.
Also not defined is the material the plate is made from. there is an agreement with the US and Canada that the size should be 6x12.
Nothing illegal with my plates I can find as it fulfill the requirements.

Yeah. The website says 'placement not defined' but that doesn't seek to matter. I called the DMV actually and they told me it must be on the front bumper. That's how the police have decided to enforce it. That's why the windshield trick doesn't work. It must me a physical plate, not a vinyl decal.

I'm just passing along what I was told. It's all up to the officer pulling you over of course.

Agree. You are better off without the plate or a real plate on a removable bracket than a decal. I really wish a state issued decal would be sufficient. The real reason they want a physical plate is so they can point their laser speed gun on a reflective surface.

My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapour of invention...
Or I could copy your idea with a high quality scan/print of my local plate on a bumper sticker, keeping the real front plate in the frunk in case of emergency. It could even go over the vinyl wrap or bra to prevent paint damage.
Bwahaha!

That is the idea go copy it. I though to scale so it would fully fit in the space but did not want to go away from the 6x12 rule for now it folded unders a little in the lower part.
I actually keep the original plate under the drivers floormat handy to pop it in the windshield even before the car stops. :rolleyes: , just in case.
This is the first prototype will wait and see how long it lasts then go to do something to protect the vinyl if it needs.