Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare lay flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have misunderstood what "lay flat" means .. but 90D's trunk is too small to hold a fullsize spare. I keep the Tesla emergency tire repair kit in the trunk.

Disadvantage - if you ever slime fill the tire, you need to buy a new tire.
Advantage - you can air up the tires at home.

Like kutta said there is a 0% chance of a spare fitting into the frunk. You'd be lucky to fit a bag there (ok, it's not that small, but on the D's the frunk is a LOT smaller than on the non-Ds)

It's much easier to keep an air compressor, a pair of pliers, and a tire plug kit in the frunk.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can even fit a full size spare into a non-D frunk. I believe someone was able to find a compact spare for another brand of car (BMW?) that fits the Tesla and fits in the frunk. You'd also need some sort of jack and wrench and find a way to fasten it all down so it doesn't rattle around.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can even fit a full size spare into a non-D frunk. I believe someone was able to find a compact spare for another brand of car (BMW?) that fits the Tesla and fits in the frunk. You'd also need some sort of jack and wrench and find a way to fasten it all down so it doesn't rattle around.

I have a full size 19" spare in my pre-autopilot S85 frunk.

What if someone kept an uninflated tire, and an air compressor?

That wouldn't fit in the frunk of a D, either, since the diameter of a deflated tire is not appreciably smaller than an inflated one.

There are compact spares that work basically this way (a deflated tire that pops open when you inflate it); Porsche used them on 911s for a long time, and Mercedes still uses them. I couldn't find one with the proper diameter/wheel bolt setup (and I could only find them sold as sets, and they were expensive). Linkster may have done more with this. But even those won't fit in a D frunk.

If you're concerned, you could carry a compact spare in the rear trunk. There's plenty of space back there. I used to do this in a BMW M3 that had much less trunk space than the Tesla does. Not as elegant, but it does the job.

It would be much easier to fit your AAA card in the frunk.

Kidding aside, I haven't carried a spare tire in my S2000 for the 15 years I've owned it, and I had exactly 1 flat tire. I'd rather not waste the storage space for a spare.

Porsche 944's also had the odd pre-flattened spare with a compressor.

It would be much easier to fit your AAA card in the frunk.

Kidding aside, I haven't carried a spare tire in my S2000 for the 15 years I've owned it, and I had exactly 1 flat tire. I'd rather not waste the storage space for a spare.

I've had relatively few roadside flats too, but when I did, I could call Roadside Assistance and they would come, change the tire and I may be an hour or so late for work. If I had to have the car flat-bedded to a tire shop or Tesla, I could easily lose the day dealing with a measly flat tire.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a full size 19" spare in my pre-autopilot S85 frunk.

Interesting. I could probably throw one of my 19" winter tires (on its own rim) in there... Probably won't, but it might be good "road trip" insurance.

I have a full size, Tesla supplied, wheel and tyre fully inflated in my frunk. I also keep a breaker bar, torque wrench, floor Jack, and a set of wedges I made out of timber in there. The wheel is upside down which leaves me with a centre well in which to store the jack and wrench. The rest fits around it and in the microwave. Obviously a non D car.

I have a full size, Tesla supplied, wheel and tyre fully inflated in my frunk. I also keep a breaker bar, torque wrench, floor Jack, and a set of wedges I made out of timber in there. The wheel is upside down which leaves me with a centre well in which to store the jack and wrench. The rest fits around it and in the microwave. Obviously a non D car.

Someone in this thread or elsewhere was suggesting that Australia requires that manufacturers provide a spare tire. Is this the case, and when you say Tesla supplied the tire, did they do so as part of the vehicle purchase?

I've had relatively few roadside flats too, but when I did, I could call Roadside Assistance and they would come, change the tire and I may be an hour or so late for work. If I had to have the car flat-bedded to a tire shop or Tesla, I could easily lose the day dealing with a measly flat tire.

How do they charge for this, out of curiosity? I know roadside assistance is free (In the beginning) but what about the tire itself? And/or can they plug it roadside?

How do they charge for this, out of curiosity? I know roadside assistance is free (In the beginning) but what about the tire itself? And/or can they plug it roadside?

Well, I haven't had to do this with the Model S (yet!). The last time was in my Cadillac and I just hit the OnStar button. The service was impressive. They got someone out right away to put on my spare and even called me back and gave me $25 of free OnStar calling minutes because of the "inconvenience". I mean, it wasn't GM's fault I ran over a nail. I dropped the wheel off at my dealer and went back a day or so later and they swapped it back for me all at no cost.

Prior to that I've called CAA (I have a membership) or just changed the tire myself.

As far as the Tesla goes with no spare, my understanding is that they have to flat bed the car somewhere. Not sure if they take it to a Tesla Service Center or a tire shop. I didn't buy my tires from Tesla, so I suppose I'd be on the hook for whatever the tire repair/replacement costs are. I don't mind that so much, but I really don't relish the hassle of having to flatbed the car away and losing all that time to dealing with a flat tire.

I'm leaning towards throwing one of my winter wheels in the frunk, but no jack or tools. At least Roadside could swap it out and I could be on my way.