Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 70 vs 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Model S is available in 70 and 70D, i am looking to order one of them. I live in Texas, so AWD is not a must requirement. I am still leaning towards 70D, but i want to know your thoughts on it. Would 70 be sufficient? Range decreases by 10 miles for 70.

Now that Model S is available in 70 and 70D, i am looking to order one of them. I live in Texas, so AWD is not a must requirement. I am still leaning towards 70D, but i want to know your thoughts on it. Would 70 be sufficient? Range decreases by 10 miles for 70.
I have a 70D, but have been driving an SC loaner 60 for the last few days. I am extremely glad I went for the D model. The non-D I am driving handles noticeably differently. Handling is tighter in the D. Even though traction control works great, I can feel the non-D getting ready to fishtail upon heavy acceleration in a turn. The D just goes where I point it. Also, (and this may be a issue with the specific car I am driving) I notice a distinct whine coming from the rear motor on the non-D. Even though the D has two motors I really can't hear much from either of them.

If you're from Texas (like me) don't forget how people lose their minds in rain and especially when we get a little snow. I would go for the D for that alone, plus you get a little better efficiency on the range side of it. When I eventually get a Model X I would definitely get the dual motor variant, assuming it's offered in a single motor version.