Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Make Model S Star Party Friendly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Star parties are where folks set up telescopes in locations away from urban light pollution and invite the public to look through them.

Star parties and car lights do not get along so I'm hoping someone can help me make my S more star party friendly.

With my scope set up in front of the car anytime I get close to the car lights come on.

I solved that by wrapping the fob in aluminum foil so the car can not detect it.

But every time I open a door lights come on. Opening the door has become something of a common thing as many folks show more interest in the car than what's in the scope.

Manually selecting the "Off" position does not work. Lights come on anyway.

My current "solution is to drape a couple of blankets over the front of the car. Ugh! Pretty car, ugly blankets.

Anyone have thoughts on how to open doors but not have any exterior lights come on?

You don't have to wrap your key fob in aluminimum foil, just de-select auto-present handles.

Also, try powering off the car (it's in one of the menus) while the door is open. Not sure if it'll keep the car off or not, but worth a shot.

But every time I open a door lights come on. Opening the door has become something of a common thing as many folks show more interest in the car than what's in the scope.
You could try cutting out some small pieces of red film/plastic to cover the interior lights (Shop at OPT - OPT Rubylith Red Masking Film - 15 Sheet - OPT Telescopes)

It's a good idea to use that to cover the headlights, license plate light, backup lights, etc as well, though the headlights are so bright, you may need to cover them with something opaque, like the blanket you mentioned, until you clear of the observing area.