Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't surprise me. They have waited until it dropped a lot before planning this increase. I wish they would announce these price increases more publicly.

That's actually happening across the board. I've been monitoring car prices and every time Canadian dollar drops, the MSRP and dealer invoice creeps up. There is never any official announcement on the manufacturers' websites.

Canadian prices, pre-increase, are *crazy*. I'm scared to think how much they'll increase by.

Do many people place orders, but defer delivery, just to lock in the price? I tried to search for this but didn't come across much. I'm a mixture of not 100% ready but also curious as to what upgrades could be pending when the Model X lands.

I'd be happy deferring until January 2016 actually, to end up with the 2016 model year. Should I lock this price down??

Last edited:
Canadian prices, pre-increase, are *crazy*. I'm scared to think how much they'll increase by.

Do many people place orders, but defer delivery, just to lock in the price? I tried to search for this but didn't come across much. I'm a mixture of not 100% ready but also curious as to what upgrades could be pending when the Model X lands.

I'd be happy deferring until January 2016 actually, to end up with the 2016 model year. Should I lock this price down??

I'd say there's no way to know what will happen to the exchange rate between now and January.

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]Keep in mind that the price increase will also apply if you decide to change the config of the car.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]I ordered my 85D in October, last year. Then in January, I wanted to switch color (from Pearl White -> Regular White) and I was told that it would be possible but I would need to pay for the price hike that happened between October and January (close to 7K$)...

If you're hesitating, buy now!

Ex :
Price when I ordered VS now
Base 85kWh : $88,500 -> $93,100
Dual Motor : $4,100
[/FONT] -> $5,600[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Pearl White : $1,600
[/FONT] -> $1,700[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Roof : $2,800
[/FONT] -> $1,700 Price drop! (caused by the new roof design perhaps)[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Leather : $1,500
[/FONT] -> $2,000[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Obeche Matte : $750
[/FONT] -> $850[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Air Ride : $2,500
[/FONT] -> $2,800[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Sound : $2,800
[/FONT] -> $2,800
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]Subzero Weather Package $850 ->1,150
[/FONT]Shipping and prep was $1,170 -> $1,300
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Not available anymore w/car:
Dual Charger $1,600. Now available as a service center installed option for $2,000 USD (around $2,600 CAD right now)
HPWC : $800. Now from tesla shop for $700 USD (around $910 CAD right now)
Winter Tires w/19 wheels : $2,700. Now from Tesla Shop for $2,500 USD (around $3,250 CAD)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
Can't compare those :
Black Headliner : $1,600
[/FONT] -> Now part of premium interior[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Tech Package : $4,400 -> Split into Premium and Autopilot Convenience[FONT=Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]

If you only take into account what can be compared (no headliner + no tech VS no premium + no autopilot convenience), my config cost me $111,670 and an identical car would be $119,760. That's a $8,090 difference, or a 7.2% increase. Now, that 7% was a steal compared to the exchange rate.. It was actually cheaper to buy a Canadian car than to build a similar US car and pay the exchange rate.

[/FONT]

I wonder if Tesla would sell an "American" car to a Canadian. i.e. pay for it in US funds for pick-up at a US location.

I know the stealerships for the major manufacturers won't allow this but if Tesla does, it might be cheaper to do that way depending on the exchange rate.

I wonder if Tesla would sell an "American" car to a Canadian. i.e. pay for it in US funds for pick-up at a US location.

I know the stealerships for the major manufacturers won't allow this but if Tesla does, it might be cheaper to do that way depending on the exchange rate.

Can't bring a U.S. car across to Canada due to slight differences (no drl in the U.S.). But you can bring a Canadian car to U.S.

Believe me I wish we could do what you suggested!

Can't bring a U.S. car across to Canada due to slight differences (no drl in the U.S.).

I think the main difference is with the immobilizer. Still, I think it is lame of Tesla to do this.

If you want the official word, it's here:

TESLA MOTORS

"Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details."

Can't bring a U.S. car across to Canada due to slight differences (no drl in the U.S.). But you can bring a Canadian car to U.S.

Believe me I wish we could do what you suggested!

Yes you can. I brought my Leaf into Canada from Washington State, then I added daytime running lights which is part of getting it approved. It's not difficult at all to import vehicles into Canada but they must be on the approved list. For Tesla, the Roadster can be imported but not the Model S. You can read more here:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

But I don't get why anyone would want to buy a US car now with our low Canadian dollar. When we were at and above par it made sense, but not now.

Yes you can. I brought my Leaf into Canada from Washington State, then I added daytime running lights which is part of getting it approved. It's not difficult at all to import vehicles into Canada but they must be on the approved list. For Tesla, the Roadster can be imported but not the Model S. You can read more here:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

But I don't get why anyone would want to buy a US car now with our low Canadian dollar. When we were at and above par it made sense, but not now.

Thanks. Good article.

Keep in mind that the price increase will also apply if you decide to change the config of the car.

I ordered my 85D in October, last year. Then in January, I wanted to switch color (from Pearl White -> Regular White) and I was told that it would be possible but I would need to pay for the price hike that happened between October and January (close to 7K$)...

If you're hesitating, buy now!
Good info, thanks for filling me in!

You'll be pleased to hear I pulled the trigger and put down the deposit on Sunday night. 70D, solid white, autopilot, tan next-gen, January 2016 delivery. I'm hoping this locks in the price sufficiently, while allowing for any X-related enhancements to be available that might make it to the base model (thinking specifically about a CPU/GPU upgrade that ought to align with the X launch).

You'll be pleased to hear I pulled the trigger and put down the deposit on Sunday night. 70D, solid white, autopilot, tan next-gen, January 2016 delivery. I'm hoping this locks in the price sufficiently, while allowing for any X-related enhancements to be available that might make it to the base model (thinking specifically about a CPU/GPU upgrade that ought to align with the X launch).
Are you talking about the centre display?

The wait for a new 70D is 5 months?

Well, this caught my eye.

Splash screen from Canadian site:

7-28-2015 3-33-40 PM.jpg

Splash screen from US site:

7-28-2015 3-34-08 PM.jpg

With gas prices higher in Canada and electricity costs comparable, it sure seems like the Canadian cars are costing a lot more!!