Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will trade in your P85D for a new P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone considering doing this is better off waiting for the Autopilot Ver. 2.0 sensors and see what other Model X niceties make it to the Model S.

It absolutely makes sense to upgrade to 90kwh for NEW orders but I see little sense in going through the cost and hassle for 15 miles of extra range.

Would be a financial bath to the tune of probably at least $60k to trade up to the car with everything I already have plus the extra 5kWh + Ludicrous mode. Then need to add dual chargers. Also would lose rear next gen seats since they don't seem to make those any more along with my original blue paint color, staggered wheel setup, etc.

Definitely not worth trading right now.

Edit: Yeah, just did up a design studio run for my car + Ludicrous and the 90 pack. "Before the $7,500.00 federal tax credit, the price of this Model Sis $141,200.00" ... + tax. + $2000 for dual chargers.

KBB rates trade in on my car in excellent condition at ~$80k. $134k new, so that'd be a 40% hit after just 7 months... I'd actually be curious as to what Tesla themselves offered on trade-in since a 40% hit after 7 months seems really bad. :(

Last edited:
If I'm in a situation where the 85D doesn't have the range to make the trip, it's very likely the 90D wouldn't manage it for me either. For the minor incremental range increase, I don't think I'd do it even if could be magically added to my car by paying the design studio difference - let alone the real cost of a trade.

I think the range I have is acceptable and if there are improvements needed, it's in the availability of charging infrastructure. Another 15 miles of range isn't going to appreciably change the number of times I'm stuck to stop for a charge, or the time I'm cooling my heels waiting for the charge to complete. A full charge will take longer on the 90 than the 85, by the amount of 5 kWh, so in theory, stops would be slightly longer anyway, just marginally less frequent. Except that infrastructure isn't so plentiful yet that you can typically pass a charge station and go another 15 miles to another one. Around here, many trips require you to stop where the charge station is and top up when you can - there isn't any flexibility! 90 kWh won't change that.

At some point, adding range is going to be like adding a second fuel tank to your F350. Not really necessary except for a very few, or those who just don't want to stop at a gas station as often. But the gas stations will still need to be available before you finally drain the second tank...

Think of it another way... if your ICE car model had improved fuel economy by 5% in the next model year, would you have traded for that alone?

My car's due to get shipped to Vancouver for a service issue, during my conversation with one of the Tesla service techs I asked about the 90 kWH - I was told that to buy the battery outright as an upgrade would be $26,000. Eye-watering no doubt, but when I bought my car 2.5 years ago I was told the replacement cost for an 85 kWH battery was $40,000 so it was rather interesting to see the sharp decline in price. Factor in the MSRP creeping up over time (I paid $107,000 for my P85, buying an equivalent D now would cost me well over $140,000) and the idea of buying a new battery outright in a few years isn't actually that *cough* ludicrous. Would I pay $15-20,000 for a 125 kWH fresh pack? I would strongly consider it. :)