Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Spin on a D Models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might get some spin if you turn off traction control. Maybe I will go out and try it and report back.

UPDATE: did not work. I mistakenly confused the Slip Start feature in my mind with a (nonexistent) option to turn off traction control. If someone has a workaround, I would like to know about it!

Last edited:
The traction control stops any tirespin. Unfortunately.

What really is a bummer is that around corners the traction control is *really* constraining. You can floor it at the apex and literally feel the constricted power. It feels like a Fiat. Then, as the car straightens out the power comes back on. Not a great corner exit experience and I hope they put a real traction control disable option in.

The traction control stops any tirespin. Unfortunately.

What really is a bummer is that around corners the traction control is *really* constraining. You can floor it at the apex and literally feel the constricted power. It feels like a Fiat. Then, as the car straightens out the power comes back on. Not a great corner exit experience and I hope they put a real traction control disable option in.
+1

This drove me crazy at ReFUEL. This was better in the P85 than in the P85D because you could turn it off on the P85.

And for the record, it's such a powerful impact that I literally had plenty of time to look down at the speedometer to confirm that the acceleration limiter was not the cause. I verified this multiple times.

Okay, so the 16 year old in me is wondering if it's possible at all to get wheel spin a Model S D. I'm thinking no due to the AWD system, but wanted to check here to see if I'm wrong or not...

Road and Track couldn't figure out how to do it - and couldn't convince Tesla to disable it for them for the snow/ice course. The article is still a great read, with nice imagery:

Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

And what, I ask, if the driver's intent is to have fun? To be sideways with four roostertails of snow in the world's longest, quietest drift? He says I'm very likely the only Model S driver who would ever want this. He may have a point.

Walter

If I'm remembering what I've read here correctly, while disabling traction control used to be possible by pulling a fuse, at some point in the fairly recent past, Tesla changed that.

Edit: Excerpted from the article referenced above:

"Other participants walk over to share the moment. Two of them own Teslas but didn't bring them. They'd read Internet posts from other Lime Rock Winter Autocrossers who'd come the week before, only to find that a recent software "upgrade" removed the stability-control defeat procedure."

Last edited:
A few days ago I had a couple of times where the tires spinned a little bit (they also made the squeaky sound) when doing a launch (did not stomp the pedal)
If it's normally not possible to do this, does this mean I need to bring my car in to have it checked? (it was a nice and dry day)

The P85D will slip all four tires for a moment or two. I turned on "slip start" with the car in a parking lot covered in packed powder snow, then punched the accelerator from a standing start. I got out of the car and looked at the results in the snow. There were four nice little craters where the four snow tires had dug into the packed powder snow, at least momentarily.