Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have any P85D owners confirmed service date for Ludicrous mode retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if any Tesla P85D owners out there have an actual date yet with their service center to get ludicrous mode installed?

I'm in Canada, but will be taking mine into the Minneapolis service center (since it's closer). I spoke to the service manager on Monday and they still didn't have any details other than they *will* be doing them. Waiting to hear back from him so I can book a date to bring it in (I begged to be front of the line). Spoke to the Toronto dealer also and they were in the same boat in terms of having not much knowledge.

Curious if we'll see P85DL's on the streets before P90Ds, or if the service appointments will only happen after some ludicrous P90Ds roll out of the factories.

Last edited:
It might take some time to have parts shipped to outlying service centers. Then there's also the matter of traing the personnel, though maybe it's not necessary if the procedure is similar to work that is already done.

All this to say that I saw in another thread that you're soon driving to California. Maybe you could get the work done at the Mother Ship while you take a factory tour. The Fremont service center will almost certainly be the first site up to speed on this upgrade.

Just wondering if any Tesla P85 owners out there have an actual date yet with their service center to get ludicrous mode installed?
I'm in Canada, but will be taking mine into the Minneapolis dealer (since it's closer)

Hi Kevin, looking forward to you documenting this in your video series, please make sure to avoid use of "dealer" when talking about service centers, I know you used both above, but I am careful when talking about Tesla to friends to ensure they realize I will not be "dealing" with anyone but Tesla, and they have retail stores like Apple, and also combine those with service centers.

I immediately clicked on the link when I saw this thread! I'm currently a P85 owner so when I read Kevin's post...I was like, YES! Then it dawned on me that my car is not a P85D which means it only applies to D owners..... SMH... :crying: Carry on...

mod note: updated title to P85D which is what I assume OP meant. This shouldn't be taken as trying to defend Tesla in any way

Thanks. Weird. Thought I typed P85D... must have missed it by mistake!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kevin, looking forward to you documenting this in your video series, please make sure to avoid use of "dealer" when talking about service centers, I know you used both above, but I am careful when talking about Tesla to friends to ensure they realize I will not be "dealing" with anyone but Tesla, and they have retail stores like Apple, and also combine those with service centers.

Thanks! Updated my first post to kill the word dealer. I'm such a newb! :)

One of my biggest concern at the moment is not the price, We pretty much know it will be in the 6600usd. I live 1000km away from the service center. TBH I am not interested in driving my car to Vancouver, get the upgrade and then drive back. I am aware the trip will be cheap, yet I don't have the time to do this.

One of my biggest concern at the moment is not the price, We pretty much know it will be in the 6600usd. I live 1000km away from the service center. TBH I am not interested in driving my car to Vancouver, get the upgrade and then drive back. I am aware the trip will be cheap, yet I don't have the time to do this.

Elon said the labor cost would vary by region.

best guess from my DES today was installation in about a month. It was just a guess, and I am dealing with the Fremont location. They aren't even in production mode for newly-ordered P90Ds yet, so I guess that makes sense. Whatevs. I'm still giddy with anticipation.

In his press release, Elon mentioned this "offer" to upgrade from insane to ludicrous would be avail do to existing P85D owners for six months. Any ideas as to when the clock starts ticking?

I had a call today from my service guy that sort of demonstrates what is amazing about Tesla and what is goofed up with Tesla all at once. I saw a thread about brake pedal rattling and mentioned that my brake pedal had the rattle under the exact same circumstances as another poster. I wasn't really stressed about it, it only happens sometimes and I don't really care too much if it isn't a safety issue. Someone at the Tesla mothership contacted my local service center and asked them to fix it. They called me about 90 minutes after I made the post, which blew my mind a little.

Having the guy on the line, I reminded him that they were going to do the ludicrous upgrade when they had my car next week if they got the parts and I asked him if they had a timeline for that yet. He told me that they received a letter that said they would get the parts and technical specifications in six months. I'm guessing this is some kind of telephone game gone wrong, but it doesn't bode well for getting it done next week. I suppose as we start to approach the six month timeline and they haven't starting doing the installs, we'll need to reach out to them and document our request. For people who are trying to manage their cashflow, I'd want to get some clarity on the price tag and how long it is valid from someone. Given the state of uncertainty now about when they will even begin the upgrades, I wouldn't count of getting solid answers on when it will end any time soon.

I received a message from a friend in Quebec who said his Tesla Service Center told him 4 - 5 months before they will begin doing the retrofits.

On that word, I reached out to both Toronto and Minneapolis Service Centers looking for an update, and both there replied they still don't have any official word on it.

Given I just took delivery of my car this month, I'm going to be REALLY BUMMED OUT if I have to wait that long for my upgrade and there are already tons of P90Ds out there driving all ludicrous like.

I received a message from a friend in Quebec who said his Tesla Service Center told him 4 - 5 months before they will begin doing the retrofits. {snip} I'm going to be REALLY BUMMED OUT if I have to wait that long for my upgrade and there are already tons of P90Ds out there driving all ludicrous like.

Yeah... the configure option shows a Sept delivery of a P90DL... and diety-forbid if the "4-5 months" is in Tesla time, rather than human calendar time... sigh.

Wait a second, so the upgrade that P85D owners have six months to avail themselves of isn't available for six months????

Here's a quote from an e-mail exchange with my DES:
"I’ve just gotten some clarification. A retrofit will be available from insane to ludicrous performance for the next six months at a cost of $5000 in parts. There will be additional charges for labor to install."

Wait a second, so the upgrade that P85D owners have six months to avail themselves of isn't available for six months????

Here's a quote from an e-mail exchange with my DES:
"I’ve just gotten some clarification. A retrofit will be available from insane to ludicrous performance for the next six months at a cost of $5000 in parts. There will be additional charges for labor to install."

It just can't be. That would be Ludicrous. If it ends up taking months, you're going to have a lot of very upset recent P85D purchasers.

I'm sure you could get a college kid to do it for free... of course, you'd want it to be someone you trusted (family member?) and make sure your insurance is in force.

People do this all the time to move cars in the US... they're usually not moving Teslas, however.