Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations on a first drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my 70D in a few weeks from Tysons Corner. I've told my wife to expect to go on a drive after we pick the car up.
I don't plan on an overnight trip, but am curious to drive the car around a bit. I've only been in the car for 2 test drives. I also am curious to try supercharging.

Any thoughts on a good first drive?

Maybe go up to Harpers Ferry and hit up the bethesda supercharger on the way back?

Bethesda supercharger is hit or miss, with only 2 stalls and mall traffic and slower charging, I wouldn't want that to be your first impression of supercharging.

I'd hit up Woodbridge instead.

@bmc: First off, congrats!! Your car will be delivered charged up to 90%, so going to Harpers Ferry and back is a breeze - no charging needed. From there you might want to go to Hagerstown and hit the Outlets while charging, then come home. That's only 76 miles from Tysons to Hagerstown via Harpers Ferry. You don't even need to charge in Hagerstown, so you can plug in, see how fast a supercharger charges, then split when the fun factor decreases beyond the point at which you want to stay there!

Congrats on the new car! If the Strasburg VA supercharger is complete by the time you take delivery, you could also manage a day trip that includes some nice Shenandoah views, Skyline Drive, Luray, etc.

Another option is Charlottesville. No supercharger along 66/29, though you could go through Glen Allen on one of the legs either there or back. You could even combine it with a nice meal at Keswick Hall for a taste of destination charging. :)

Also, +1 to the Ocean City and Harpers Ferry / Hagerstown suggestions. All good candidates for a first long drive.

Skip the Bethesda Supercharger, it's dull and busy. I'm with the Harper's Ferry/Hagerstown group. Another alternative, drive Rt. 123 down to Woodbridge for the supercharging experience and have lunch or dinner in Occoquan.

Or, if you are a history buff, up to Gettysburg, optional stop in Hagerstown on the way back. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be fun to do a roadtrip that includes White's Ferry? That ensures you get some gorgeous countryside and the nav full screen will help you find the right twisty roads.

Or, if you are a history buff, up to Gettysburg, optional stop in Hagerstown on the way back. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be fun to do a roadtrip that includes White's Ferry? That ensures you get some gorgeous countryside and the nav full screen will help you find the right twisty roads.

+1 for Whites ferry, this was my first drive home from the Maryland service center, just watch out for the speed cameras in Poolesville...I took advantage of not having tags on the new Model S when I first picked it up:wink:

We took White's Ferry yesterday! It was a nice day for a drive in the countryside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 101
+1 for Whites ferry, this was my first drive home from the Maryland service center, just watch out for the speed cameras in Poolesville...I took advantage of not having tags on the new Model S when I first picked it up:wink:

This looks like a really nice drive. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm going to take the Roadster up there this weekend and check it out (taking a date - hopefully she'll be suitably impressed).