Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego S85 trip suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

G/f and I are looking for fun weekend trips that I can use the Tesla for. We're stoked that it can fit a twin bed, and thus we plan on sleeping in the car wherever we end up. We've done Joshua Tree, and I've done Kern River and Mojave as well as various "off the map" MTB trips. Any suggestions out there from you camper + tesla lovers? We were thinking Yosemite, but I have serious range anxiety. She was interested in Death Valley as well, so that might be near the top. Any ideas are welcome!! :cool:

The eastern Sierras with the superchargers in Mojave and Lone Pine are great. Lots of mountain biking/hiking/fishing in the Mammoth area if you can stay somewhere with a plug. The South Lake area out of Bishop has fantastic hiking backpacking. The Bristle cone forest on the east side of Owens Valley is great, but might be a range challenge. We camped with our model S at a RV campground south of Bishop called Browns Town campground. They only have old fashioned 30 amp hook ups which take a special adapter.

Utah looks good, I'm trying to figure out if Zion is worth it for only two days. Never been to Havasu, felt very touristy from everyone who goes so often, is it cool/interesting?

Utah deserves its own trip, like a couple of weeks. We toured various places for a month in our RV, there are plenty of places to grab a charge (we aren't dry campers). We drove through the Lake Havasu area ("big rig and houseboat heaven" seemed like to me). We actually didn't stop, but driving past the scenery and popularity of the whole area intrigued us. And you can see the real-isn London Bridge.

I didn't realize you were talking weekend trips, my bad.

demundus: I just said I wanted a camping spot with electricity. We set up a tent next to our model S. They did not know the amperage or the type of plug when I reserved. I think some of the fancier RV parks do not want tent campers. When we go camping, it is usually somewhere in a national park, or at the end of a road. Frequently RVs cannot get to these locations so I do not know much about RV parks. As many have said, ask if they have 50 amp hook ups.