Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen going after FredTesla over comments about Saleen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. That was an interesting read. I feel sorry for the guy. He warned potential investors after investigating the facts and now he gets sued. I doubt the lawsuit will go anywhere. It seems to be more of a scare tactic but that often works since it's so costly to defend a legal action these days - even ones without merit. Too bad he doesn't have a lawyer in his family that could assist him pro bono.

Saleen deserves to go bankrupt for customizing that tacky Model S lol

Im sure Elon will see this and take care of it

But this is literally the most ludicrous thing :wink:

inb4Saleensuesmeovermypost

That's so sad. Tesla isn't really involved directly in the lawsuit since Saleen was just buying the cars normally and there's no affiliation. Too bad Saleen has no money for that guy to counter-suit. On the other hand, maybe Saleen will run out of lawyer money before it gets too far.

That's so sad. Tesla isn't really involved directly in the lawsuit since Saleen was just buying the cars normally and there's no affiliation. Too bad Saleen has no money for that guy to counter-suit. On the other hand, maybe Saleen will run out of lawyer money before it gets too far.

You'd be surprised what some lawyers will do on contingency. Just look at the SCO v. IBM case to see what David Boies and the rest of his firm was willing to do for very little money, with the slim chance of a very big payday.

I sent a msg to him on reddit, advising him to contact Ken White from PopeHat. Does Saleen not know of the Streisand Effect?

IANAL but it looks to me like it's an initial injunction to get him to stop posting about Saleen. He should stop for now at least, and see what happens next; Saleen is unlikely to actually sue him, internationally and at great cost to themselves, for money that he clearly claims he hasn't got.

IANAL either and know precisely nothing about law in general, but it appears from the tons of responses he has received that he really needs a lawyer to advise him. FWIW I've followed and interacted with Fred on reddit for some time now and highly respect him. I was one of the people suggesting he start a fundraising campaign to help offset lawyer expenses and have contributed to the campaign. He is overwhelmed and mentally exhausted at this point and can certainly use the direct help of funding to secure a lawyer to advise and represent him. He is only in his 20s, early 20s at that, but presents well beyond his years. Hell, I thought he was some high end mega wealthy much older investor by the quality and depth of his comments until he stated his age.

You'd be surprised what some lawyers will do on contingency. Just look at the SCO v. IBM case to see what David Boies and the rest of his firm was willing to do for very little money, with the slim chance of a very big payday.

I sent a msg to him on reddit, advising him to contact Ken White from PopeHat. Does Saleen not know of the Streisand Effect?
There's no chance of any payday on this case for his potential lawyer, so contingency is not an option. And by the by, it's a Canadian guy being sued in Canada, so us Yanks are out of our depth providing much advice.

If it were me, I'd see what happened at the first court hearing. The judge may well throw it out and call it a day.

There's no chance of any payday on this case for his potential lawyer, so contingency is not an option.

Yeah, it seems unlikely a 23 year old who can't seem to afford a lawyer will have much to offer if it even gets that far.

I'm not really sure why there's even an injunction. Trying to delete widely read stuff off the Internet is a losing cause and I doubt Fred cares much about posting more things about Saleen after Saleen files for BK soon. With the lawsuit, it's just bringing more attention to the company and their business. Maybe it's an ego thing by the founder. Who knows?

Seems like it would have just been more beneficial to fold that company and start a new one.

Can somebody explain to the old people who is Fred and who is Saleen?

I'm asking for a friend...

The link in the OP has most of the info in that Reddit thread. Fred is basically some random young guy on the Internet who made some posts about Saleen. As far as I know, he isn't anyone famous.

Saleen is some aftermarket company that buys cars and "upgrades" them with fancy looks, etc. and tries to resell them for profit. Apparently, it hasn't worked out as I think it's going to be 2 bankruptcies in 7 years. The interest on the this forum is partly because Saleen was planning to do his thing with Tesla cars (used to be Mustangs).

The link in the OP has most of the info in that Reddit thread. Fred is basically some random young guy on the Internet who made some posts about Saleen. As far as I know, he isn't anyone famous.

Saleen is some aftermarket company that buys cars and "upgrades" them with fancy looks, etc. and tries to resell them for profit. Apparently, it hasn't worked out as I think it's going to be 2 bankruptcies in 7 years. The interest on the this forum is partly because Saleen was planning to do his thing with Tesla cars (used to be Mustangs).

LOL

OK, thanks. Laughing at myself. Wanna mutually agree to delete the last few posts?

Sixteen years ago I moved from Motown to the Big Apple. Apparently a decade and a half of urban life has completely wrung out the last vestige of any car guy knowledge I may have once possessed.

I know of Steve Saleen and his company. In a glorious middle aged moment (& having not clicked on the link), I somehow surmised Saleen was a pop singer led astray by some shady huckster named Fred.

*rimshot*

Try the veal. Here all week.

I'm never buying anything from "Saleen"--certainly not Saleen's Tesla Model S

In case you haven't heard, Saleen is suing FredTesla, the moderator of reddit's /r/teslamotors for defamation. You can read FredTesla's post about it here. It is apparent that he did nothing other than post factual information from Saleen's own SEC filings and then give a reasoned, well-grounded opinion as to the unlikelihood of the company's remaining in business.

It's classic bullying behavior by Saleen and they don't deserve a dollar from the Tesla community.

Clearly, I cannot comment on the case. I can only give my personal observations about the Saleen modified Model S.

Appearance: I like their creativity, but do not prefer the look. I think that the Model S, in it's simplicity, is a lovely vehicle. But I applaude their willingness to push the envelope.

Sound/performance:

The performance gain is OK, but marginal in my opinion. So I ask the question: why invest so much into such a small blip in results? My opinion only.

However, on the sound front, I have a much stronger opinion. It just plain sounds awful! Why on earth would I spend so much money for a car that basically screams at me the entire time I am driving it? Yes...a subjective observation. But really? I get the raw muffled explosion of ICE cars. It is intoxicating and I love it. I also get the interesting allure of the complete silence from the MS. But the scream from the Saleen? No. I do not understand the logic of that. Nor does EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have talked to about this.

Saleen has done so much better on so many cars. This may be a fail. But we all have fails in our life. Sueing over it is just plain absurd.

Last edited: