Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Search for Places pretty poor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
My wife was out and did a search for "Target" on the main map. It only showed ones several towns away, but there is one just a few miles from where she was that's been there for years. It was necessary to enter the name of the town she was in to get the Target in the same town even though it is much closer than the one the search turned up. She also did a search for another store and it showed an old location from many months ago. Doing a Google Map search for both works correctly.
She always had good connectivity as the maps updated reasonably fast.

I don't know if the problem is that the car is caching data or if the UI is just not very good, but this is a serious bug that should get fixed.
a) It should always show the nearest matching hit or the ones within the current map display at the top of the search list.
b) The database should be updated often enough to have current data - not more than a few days old at worst. Better would be to do an online search if connectivity was available.

Have had a similar issue... went on phone to find real location when "navigate to..." didn't help. Siri seems to understand better than voice control on car. Too bad we can't send a map or destination from our phones to the car. Wife's MBZ does it easily.

Have had a similar issue... went on phone to find real location when "navigate to..." didn't help. Siri seems to understand better than voice control on car. Too bad we can't send a map or destination from our phones to the car. Wife's MBZ does it easily.

There is a Band-Aid[SUP]®[/SUP] solution by adding an event with that particular location to your calendar and the Model S will pick it up. If you set the event start time to be within the hour, it will auto-nav there. I know -- not perfect, but at least we have that now.. And at least we can just press-and-hold to drop a "pin" on the map location now too. Those things were sorely missing for a long time.

Very good point... I have taken to adding all stopping points as calendar entries with addresses... saves time and avoids the verbal command confusion completely.

Rick

There is a Band-Aid[SUP]®[/SUP] solution by adding an event with that particular location to your calendar and the Model S will pick it up. If you set the event start time to be within the hour, it will auto-nav there. I know -- not perfect, but at least we have that now.. And at least we can just press-and-hold to drop a "pin" on the map location now too. Those things were sorely missing for a long time.