Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC Autos: Top Gear on Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ludicrousacceleration.jpg

Those may be the nicest things the BBC has ever said about Tesla, and EVs in general. Usually they're writing articles or doing TV shows about how bad EVs are, how Teslas run out of power and need to be towed, etc.

Those may be the nicest things the BBC has ever said about Tesla, and EVs in general. Usually they're writing articles or doing TV shows about how bad EVs are, how Teslas run out of power and need to be towed, etc.

The difference is the biased (we want hydrogen cars / hate electric cars) reporting of the BBC TV show TopGear (Clarkson, Hammond, May).
That program was rightfully sued by Tesla (but somehow lost). I don't know how rubbish their lawyer was - but their is something called the BBC Trust and they have a code of conduct about presenting facts incorrectly. This I presume was never cited. Instead the BBC could argue as TopGear was an entertainment show they could do what they want / say what they want.
It is NO coincidence that the Tesla Model S was NEVER ever again mentioned on Top Gear... not even in a bad way. Yes, even after the inane mode went viral with 3m youtube viewings in 3 days!
What's worse than being panned... being ignored!
No wonder the UK has only sold a little over 500 Model S's and about 100 Roadster's.
The BBC Top Gear website however must be completely seperate - they have done very positive reviews of electric cars. The tone is different. Far more factual. Far less silly.
I'm British - I like Top Gear - but feel also that a disservice is done by not having a factual car program any more... one remotely aligned with what 99.9% of people can afford and drive.

The BBC Top Gear website however must be completely seperate - they have done very positive reviews of electric cars. The tone is different. Far more factual. Far less silly.

As has the magazine.

I'm British - I like Top Gear - but feel also that a disservice is done by not having a factual car program any more... one remotely aligned with what 99.9% of people can afford and drive.

5th Gear? There is life outside the BBC ;)

The difference is the biased (we want hydrogen cars / hate electric cars) reporting of the BBC TV show TopGear (Clarkson, Hammond, May).
That program was rightfully sued by Tesla (but somehow lost). I don't know how rubbish their lawyer was - but their is something called the BBC Trust and they have a code of conduct about presenting facts incorrectly. This I presume was never cited. Instead the BBC could argue as TopGear was an entertainment show they could do what they want / say what they want.

That is exactly what happened. The British courts basically concluded that Top Gear is entertainment/comedy and no one would believe that what they do is factual. Therefore no damage was done.

The Hamster (Richard Hammond) wrote an article about the Model S recently where he praised the car.
Top Gear's Richard Hammond reviews model S

That's about as good as you're going to get. I am waiting on a Model S review by Fifth Gear. They did a few things with the Roadster (all positive) but nothing whatsoever on the Model S. Fifth Gear also had the ex-Stig do a review of the Leaf and he loved it. So they don't seem biased against electrics.

I still remember this incident, where BBC made a multi-day trip to "prove" how inconvenient electric cars are, then TMC member Dave Peilow proved them wrong in a single day.
The British Broadcasting Corporation, considered to be the center-pin of television and radio in the U.K., has always had a cautious view of the benefits of electric vehicles, often choosing to illustrate the limited range of electric cars in articles rather than the positive benefits.
In typical form the latest BBC feature, a four-day trek from London to Edinburgh in a 2010 MINI E, has not spoken favourably about electric cars. Journalist Brian Milligan has blogged and vlogged about his experiences so far, highlighting the length of time it takes to charge from a standard 13 Amp, 240V U.K. domestic outlet.
But a Tesla enthusiast who is no stranger to long-distance electric car trips set off from London this morning in a 2011 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 to prove that some electric cars are capable of traveling the 400+ mile trip in a single day.
Enter David Peilow, a long-time Tesla fan and active member on the TeslaMotorsClub.com website. Last year, Peilow hit the headlines when he drove a total of 772 miles in a single weekend, charging a borrowed Tesla Roadster at 32Amp charging points en-route.
<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ves-epic-electric-car-trip-to-prove-bbc-wrong

The Top Gear magazine and website are editorially separate from the TV show. I can't imagine Clarkson getting hold of a Model S whilst Elon is still alive

Clarkson must have been in a Model S by now, James May owns a BMW I3 so we know he has an interest in electrics, even if his review of the Honda FCX Clarity is one of the most foolish car reviews ever

also since Tesla ended up having to go to court because of Clarkson and his lies, I bet Clarkson takes an interest in what Tesla are up to, the years ahead are going to suck for Clarkson and people like him

Last edited:

It is important to note that the picture shows spinning wheels on a Model S, a very rare occurrence given the car's superb traction control. I have never felt one ounce of slippage, nor do I want to. I suppose the "ad" above is for effect (and I think I have seen the "drifting" of a MS in a video). But I dearly love my traction control and no (or close to no) slippage of tires. (Unlike what I felt in the neighbor's Z51 Corvette when he floored it; the lack of tires slipping was just another thing I liked more about Tesla when comparing the two cars).

It is important to note that the picture shows spinning wheels on a Model S, a very rare occurrence given the car's superb traction control. I have never felt one ounce of slippage, nor do I want to. I suppose the "ad" above is for effect (and I think I have seen the "drifting" of a MS in a video). But I dearly love my traction control and no (or close to no) slippage of tires. (Unlike what I felt in the neighbor's Z51 Corvette when he floored it; the lack of tires slipping was just another thing I liked more about Tesla when comparing the two cars).

This seems to be a rear wheel drive car. With the old software it was possible to turn off traction control and spin the wheels. It was a lot of fun doing with only smoke and squeeling tires and no racing engine noise. That all disappeared in firmware 6.0 I believe. For better or for worse.........