Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doors Unlock slow...auto present of handles not very speedy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
running 6.1, i find that sometimes i walk up to the car and the handles dont present themselves for 5 seconds. and sometimes they dont present themselves at all and i have to get the key fob and press the roof. what gives?

Are you approaching the car from the front? that's where the sensor is.

I pull head-in to my garage parking spot and approach the car from the rear, as there's a wall in the front. I always have to use to button on the fob to get the handles to present.

thanks---i didnt know about the front/rear thing, and didnt know that it cant be in your pocket. it is always in my pocket...

on average, when most of you guys walk up to the car, do the handles open as you walk up? or do you have to stop and wait a bit for the handles to come out?

thanks---i didnt know about the front/rear thing, and didnt know that it cant be in your pocket. it is always in my pocket...

on average, when most of you guys walk up to the car, do the handles open as you walk up? or do you have to stop and wait a bit for the handles to come out?
It can be in your pocket, just certain things near it can mess with it. Angle of approach is also a factor.

I turn that feature off. I find it is annoying and add wear and tear unnecessary. I have the key fob in my pocket most of the time. As I walk around, like my garage or near it, the car present the handle.

So now, with that turned off, I just walk up to the car and tap the handle when I truly need to get into the car.

1. If the 5 second delay is occasional, it's due to the computer doing some processing. Should be pretty rare though. If it's a) frequent b) you have a 5 second delay even after walking right up next to the door, and c) there's nothing in the key fob pocket to disturb the signal such as a cell phone, first replace your key fob battery. If it doesn't change, get it looked at by Tesla service.

2. For the "sometimes never come out", are you aware that after a certain period of inactivity the auto-presenting door handle feature disables in order to save energy? (I believe it's 24 hrs or 48 hrs without disturbing the car...it's in the manual somewhere).

As others have mentioned, approaching the car from the front definitely gets the key recognized earlier (from farther away). Approaching from the back, you'd have to stand directly in front of the front door (either one) before it will present. And if you walk fast, you will have to wait like 1 or two seconds if you are coming from the rear. I just walk slower and stick my hand out for the handle to meet it. If I am trying to open the rear door, I have to do the "Tesla 2-step shuffle" -- 2 steps to the front door, handles present, 2 steps back to the rear door, open door.

Are you approaching the car from the front? that's where the sensor is.

I pull head-in to my garage parking spot and approach the car from the rear, as there's a wall in the front. I always have to use to button on the fob to get the handles to present.

I noticed that on phones with NFC, it can cause a delay or flat out not work if they are in the same pocket.