Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVSE standards for A/C charging, and DC charging standards both require interlock that ensures exposed parts are never energized as well as ground fault protection that would immediately disconnect power if current flows to the wrong place. You're safe to plug in while in the rain.

EVSE standards for A/C charging, and DC charging standards both require interlock that ensures exposed parts are never energized as well as ground fault protection that would immediately disconnect power if current flows to the wrong place. You're safe to plug in while in the rain.

It only happened once where I got a red charge port fault apparently due to rain that got in the charge port and connector. After letting them dry out some overnight, I still got the red charge port indicator light. To fix it, I pressed the reset button on the bottom of the UMC, then reset power to the UMC, blew on the connector and charge port a few times to help dry them out, and then reconnected the cable. It started charging with the normal green port light!

Last edited:
The Syosset superchargers are built next to a bunch of plantings that are on timed sprinklers.. the car enjoyed the light wash, and was happily topping up at 280 mph.. I on the other hand, got drenched.

I don't think rain is an issue for supercharging (or any sort of charging) otherwise these chargers would not be anywhere near sprinklers.

I can't say I was't apprehensive about it, but I needed the charge to get home.