Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved navigation / range anxiety mode tied to V7?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of talk about V7 coming "soon" and all of the auto pilot features that may be there. What about something a lot simpler and used every day, like getting good navigation routes from point A to point B via multiple super chargers without the crazy route detours?

Will that be in V7? Do we think it will be sooner? Anyone seen any meaningful improvements with .251?

Anyone seen any meaningful improvements with .251?

This poster did:

Version .251 improvement?

Last night Got version .251 and trip planner seems to be more logical. Routed to a SC (first one on route) that was not in range but was the closest to my preferred route. It also gave a warning that charge was needed. Before .251 it routed me hundreds of extra miles just to use the closest SCs.:eek:

Did 900km (550Miles) trip accros France yesterday, on a route with scarce SuC deployment. The first leg was 363km (225miles) on 130kmph (81mph) highway to reach the SuC, starting at -1% range at destination. The nav insisted to take the long detour adding several hundred kms and hours to the trip, but all went fine and finished with 4% remaining and not driving under the speed limit for most part of the leg.

PS: I'm on .251

I did Houston -> Dallas -> Houston yesterday. On the way up there, I did everything manually, just putting in the destination of the next supercharger on the route.

On the way back, I tried to use the trip planner, starting just south of Dallas. The original plot looked correct -- charge in Corsicana, then in Huntsville, then home.

I got to Corsicana and began supercharging. The car claimed that once I got to 155 miles or so, that I had enough energy to reach the next supercharger in Huntsville. EV Trip Planner had computed that I would use 145 rated miles on this leg, which would only leave me a 10 rated mile buffer. I thought that was low, so I continued to charge to 195 rated miles, for a 50 rated mile buffer.

I left Corsicana and headed south. 15 miles later, the nav is telling me to exit. Eh? :confused: I look on the nav map, and it wants me to go BACK to the Corsicana supercharger and pick up more energy, despite the fact that I had already overcharged there by 40 rated miles, and was easily able to make it to Huntsville in any case.

Ya, trip planner in .251 is still not ready for prime time. :frown:

P.S. Made it to Huntsville with 57 rated miles remaining, only 7 miles off of EV Trip Planner's prediction. If you haven't yet, go donate to the guy who runs EV Trip Planner, he's got this down pat.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing

I did Houston -> Dallas -> Houston yesterday. On the way up there, I did everything manually, just putting in the destination of the next supercharger on the route.

On the way back, I tried to use the trip planner, starting just south of Dallas. The original plot looked correct -- charge in Corsicana, then in Huntsville, then home.

I got to Corsicana and began supercharging. The car claimed that once I got to 155 miles or so, that I had enough energy to reach the next supercharger in Huntsville. EV Trip Planner had computed that I would use 145 rated miles on this leg, which would only leave me a 10 rated mile buffer. I thought that was low, so I continued to charge to 195 rated miles, for a 50 rated mile buffer.

I left Corsicana and headed south. 15 miles later, the nav is telling me to exit. Eh? :confused: I look on the nav map, and it wants me to go BACK to the Corsicana supercharger and pick up more energy, despite the fact that I had already overcharged there by 40 rated miles, and was easily able to make it to Huntsville in any case.

Ya, trip planner in .251 is still not ready for prime time. :frown:

P.S. Made it to Huntsville with 57 rated miles remaining, only 7 miles off of EV Trip Planner's prediction. If you haven't yet, go donate to the guy who runs EV Trip Planner, he's got this down pat.

Ran into this same bug with an earlier version - so it may not be just .251.

What I did was cancel the navigation and re-enter my destination - and it then worked correctly.

Suspect the problem is related to not clearing the previous supercharger destination properly - since re-entering the destination worked fine and didn't issue any range warnings or recommend going back to the other SC to add more charge.

I picked up my car on June 2nd and left Austin Texas on June 4th on a 3,300 mile trip. Since day one I am still getting the same problem after I charge up at a SC and leave, he Nav system continually tells me to go back to the SC that I just left. This continues to happen even if I only select the next SC. I have to wait until I am about half way to the next SC and then it does not tell me to go back to the SC that I just left.

Yesterday planned a trip to Houston even with enough battery to arrive at the Columbus, TX SC. The navigation system told me that I needed to drive South to the San Marco SC and then back North to pick up Highway 71 to go to Columbus. This would increase the trip by at least 80 miles.

I hope the version 7 update will fix this issue.

Yesterday planned a trip to Houston even with enough battery to arrive at the Columbus, TX SC. The navigation system told me that I needed to drive South to the San Marco SC and then back North to pick up Highway 71 to go to Columbus. This would increase the trip by at least 80 miles.

I hope the version 7 update will fix this issue.
I experienced the exact same thing on my last trip from Austin to Houston. I ended up entering the Columbus supercharger itself as the destination, then told it to remove the supercharger stops ... which in turn allowed me to monitor my usage plan to the supercharger I wanted to visit.