Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order and Deliver question for Michiganders...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm looking forward to ordering my Model S very soon. But i have a quick question.

For the Michiganders here (like myself), did you order it online or did you travel to the nearest showroom? Also, where did you take delivery?

I'm wondering how simple was it to have it trucked to your home, etc. vs showroom for us Michigan folks.

Thanks for any info you have. I'm in SE Michigan and can't wait to place the order.

Thanks again,

I went to Chicago and ordered mine. I live in west MI. I also picked it up and drove it home-tried the supercharger on the way home. The laws on Michigan books are no big deal. I actually paid the 6% sales tax to tesla say delivery and they gave me a tax form indicating the tax payment. The SOS was no big deal. Make sure they use the base value of the car not the total price to determine the registration fees

I'm in Ann Arbor, MI and just requested a test drive, curious if they'll send me to Cleveland or to Columbus. It'd be real nice if I could do this in the state, but that won't be happening anytime soon.

I'm also curious about people's maintenance experience from Michigan, I drive over 20k miles/year and wonder how people do the every 12.5k mile checkups?

Mine was ordered through Columbus (though I test drove in Cinci, pre-sales questions from Chicago). This was before Cleveland opened. Delivered by third-party to my door, very convenient and with constant communication from the sales rep.

I've made a few service calls, all directed to Cleveland. My annual service was also at Cleveland - they picked up the car and dropped it back a few days later (I was going out of town so did not need a loaner).

Are they still doing home delivery by third party? I know it was common last year but I thought that was being phased out.

WRT registration, how much are you guys paying? Just curious on how much the difference is costing me. Obviously, the biggest difference is Sales Tax (2.875% higher); registration & plates here typically run $375-500, NYC insurance is $3K per year.

I have rental property and improved land in Ottawa County, but can't really claim residency until I retire in 6-1/2 years. Which means over the life of the car, the MI-NY TCO delta might exceed $15K.

Ugh. Wish I didn't think about stuff I have no intention of changing ATM.

We live in Brighton. We test drove and ordered our 70D at the Austin, TX store in early July (was in TX visiting family). Kevin Stanley was excellent at the Austin store. We're having it delivered to the Columbus, OH location as we have friends who live near there. We stopped by the Maumee, OH supercharger on recent visit to OH just to check it out. Our Tesla is in transit now and hoping we can pick up in early August.

I scheduled a test drive in Chicago. Very impressed, but held off ordering for a while. Test drove a couple of high-end ICE cars, not so impressed. Ordered online and took delivery from a third party auto transport company at my house.

I'm also curious about people's maintenance experience from Michigan, I drive over 20k miles/year and wonder how people do the every 12.5k mile checkups?

I too am also wondering about the promptness and success of servicing our Michigan vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was ordered through Columbus (though I test drove in Cinci, pre-sales questions from Chicago). This was before Cleveland opened. Delivered by third-party to my door, very convenient and with constant communication from the sales rep.

I've made a few service calls, all directed to Cleveland. My annual service was also at Cleveland - they picked up the car and dropped it back a few days later (I was going out of town so did not need a loaner).

Thanks. This service info is good to know. I still would like to know about anyone who needed emergency roadside service here in Michigan. Being in SE Michigan as well. I'm interested as my wife might be driving it as well.

I'm really leaning toward the doorstep delivery as well.

Thanks

Has anyone in Michigan used the ranger program service? According to threads on TMC, the ranger policy has changed. Anyone have any insight?

Service is great in Michigan. I have had my Model S since October 2012 (VIN 524), so I have had the longest in terms of time and arguably the worst build quality (again being VIN 524). A ranger comes to you for anything that can be fixed on site. I have not Paid for anything due to the warranty, and if I did have to pay for any non-warranty items the price was minimal to the point I can't remember. I'd prefer a ranger come to me than to turn my car and wallet over to a dealership/service center.

Service would by a pro in your purchasing decision.

Did my test drive in Cleveland today. Wow what a car! I just need to pull the finances together to be able to place an order.

Spoke with the saleswoman at length about service and support, didn't even think to ask about delivery options, was more concerned with car ride and highway traveling (I commute 75 miles round trip each day). She repeatedly assured me that Tesla takes care of their owners, sending out Rangers, or if necessary a flatbed to get the car and service it down in Ohio.

fun side note: someone's roadster was still there after being serviced. Never expected to see one of those in person.

I went to Chicago and ordered mine. I live in west MI. I also picked it up and drove it home-tried the supercharger on the way home. The laws on Michigan books are no big deal. I actually paid the 6% sales tax to tesla say delivery and they gave me a tax form indicating the tax payment. The SOS was no big deal. Make sure they use the base value of the car not the total price to determine the registration fees

Can you explain what you mean make sure they use the base price value and not the total? Mine should be delivered next week and I was assuming I'd pay the 6% on the total value....?

Can you explain what you mean make sure they use the base price value and not the total? Mine should be delivered next week and I was assuming I'd pay the 6% on the total value....?

Probably a moment of temporary confusion here.

6% Michigan Sales Tax will be applied to the total purchase price.

Title, registration and plate fee are a separate matter.

License plate fees for 1984 and newer model year passenger vehicles and light trucks are calculated using a percentage of the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) at the time the vehicle is first titled. This is also known as the base price or window sticker price before any taxes, options, and destination charges.The plate fee decreases by 10% each year for the first three annual plate renewals, after which the fee no longer changes as the vehicle continues to age.
All license plate fees are established by state law. License plate fees can change if the state legislature amends the law to change the fee structure.

When I bought mine (July) I paid no sales tax for Michigan when paying for the car. When I registered the car I paid the sales tax and registration.

Hmm

So upthread jbdvm1988 said to give the Sec of State the base price. Obviously the Sales/Use is calculated off the all-in price, but he made it sound like the registration could be calculated off the lower base.